Menu
Buy a camcorder in the USA or Hong Kong?
Mar 23, 2006 18:30
  • JOEWKS
Hello again,

I want to buy a good MiniDV Digital Camcorder, preferrably a Sony. We are trying to decide if we should buy it here in the USA, or wait until we get to Hong Kong. I know you can get great deals in HK, but I don't know anything about it.

Can you really save a lot of money buying them in HK?

We can purchase devices in HK that are programmed in English, correct?

How do you ensure that you're buying the actual name brand and not a counterfiet?

Are there any drawbacks to buying them in Hong Kong?

Mar 24, 2006 01:16
  • TRAVELHK
Generally buying electronics products in HK are much cheaper and programmed in english as well. I can help you check the price of the Sony Digital Camcorder in Hong Kong, just leave me the serial number/part number of the products you are interested in.

If you go to the famous and well known shops, you can busy the actual one. You can ask the local people who can trust. There are no taxes in buying them

Involvementstay- Serve for tourists
http://www.involvementstay.com/ (Website for travelling Hong Kong and South China)
involvementstay.com|enquiry
Mar 24, 2006 08:56
  • JOEWKS
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate you offering to check the prices for us. That's very nice of you!

We are looking at a few different models. Here they are:
Sony MiniDV Models:
DCR-HC36
DCR-HC46
DCR-HC96
DCR-VX2100
HDR-FX1 (High-Definition)

Thanks Again!

Joe

Mar 25, 2006 23:42
  • TRAVELHK
Joe,

You are always than welcome and Involvementstay serves for customers nomatter what they request.

Below are the HK prices with supplied accessories:
DCR-HC36 US$510
DCR-HC46 US$640
DCR-HC96 US$975
DCR-VX2100 (no this product in HK shops)
HDR-FX1 (High-Definition) US$4080

Involvementstay- serve for tourists
http://www.involvementstay.com/ (Help to travel Hong Kong and South China website)
Mar 25, 2006 23:51
  • TRAVELHK
Joe,

You are always than welcome and Involvementstay serves for customers nomatter what they request.

Below are the HK prices with supplied accessories:
DCR-HC36 US$510
DCR-HC46 US$640
DCR-HC96 US$975
DCR-VX2100 (no this product in HK shops)
HDR-FX1 (High-Definition) US$4080

http://www.involvementstay.com/ (Help to travel Hong Kong and South China website)
Mar 26, 2006 10:25
  • JOEWKS
Thank you very much for checking those prices for me. The prices you listed were in US Dollars, correct? If so, it's really strange, but they seem to be quite a bit cheaper here in the USA. It's probably because Best Buy buys them in such large numbers.

Each of the items is $100-$150USD cheaper here. The prices that you listed are set prices, right? Or will they negotiate the price down?

Thanks again for your help!
Mar 27, 2006 08:34
  • TRAVELHK
I agree with that the price is cheaper in US than in HK. If you look at the Sony offical website (HK one and US one) and you will recognize it. The HK well known shops sell the same price as HK Sony website's. It is due to Sony's sales and marketing strategy which sets the selling price higher in HK. Of course, if we go to the smaller shops which they do not get the products through the distributor, the price will be lower. The prices I listed are the selling price of the well known shops and they will only lower US$10.

However, it is just the special case and most of the goods can be bought with lower prices compared with the other countries because of "No tax". You will notice it once you are in Hong Kong.

Post a Reply to: Buy a camcorder in the USA or Hong Kong?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code