Menu
using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Mar 24, 2006 10:35
  • BEANO
Just to confirm if one can withdraw money from Chinese ATM using overseas bank card linked to cirrus & maestro?

They shave the hassle of going to bank to get traveeler's cheque.

But is there any disadvantages in the exchange rate?

Appreciate all your comments
Mar 25, 2006 01:40
  • APAULT
I have not found any Cirrus or Maestro ATM's, certainly Visa dominates. But look out for Pin differences - the standard in China is 6 digits. I found that I needed to put two leading zeros before my normal PIN. You might try checking with your bank, though mine didn't know. I have been told that some ATMs accept a 4 digit PIN.

My expereince internationally has been that I get a better rate on my card than I can from a bank. One disadvantage of the ATM is if you want to change money back again, you must have official receipts and I doubt that ATM slips count. Anyway I recommend you spend your RMB as it is so much trouble to change it in the few banks that can do it.

Good luck
Mar 25, 2006 06:20
  • BEANO
Thanks for your reply.

Few years, I managed to locate HKSB in Shenzhen and withdraw using the Cirrus & Masestro Card. But I wonder if the banking in China has been upgraded and there are more Cirrus ATM Teller?

I think it is more convenient than using traveller cheque. One has to go to the own country's bank to buy US Dollars and then to China and cash them. Any excess US Traveller cheque still has to be changed back.
Mar 25, 2006 06:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Cirrus cards can be used at Bank Of China ATM's. Just check the list of cards on the front of the machine. Not all of them will take International cards.
Nov 8, 2007 01:16
GUEST39332 No Cirrus in Kunming, checked two Bank of China & and many other banks, hotels and CITS & all say not in Yunnan
Nov 8, 2007 09:02
  • BETWEENUS21
when in major chinese cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen n a few others - there should be no problem in finding atms which accepts "cirrus" esp from Bank of China atms and foreign banks like HSBC, UOB etc - and even Citibank has its branches n atms which definitely can accept cirrus. Am not sure in Yunnan though. In Asia, atm cards with "Plus" are the norm and China is also the same. However i do believe that using a foreign Bank's Credit Card to take local rmb is the most expensive way - Bank atm issued cards are the cheapest for getting local rmb.
Nov 9, 2007 04:19
  • BILLYBAXTER
We just did a 7 week trip which included staying in smaller non-tourist destinations in Gansu and Sichuan as well as the usual tourist cities. We had absolutely no problem obtaining cash from cirrus/masestro ATM,s.
Most of them have an option to display in English, if not you can get a bank teller to help you. China Bank was good as well as Citibank which are in some big hotels. On no occasion did we have to add any zero's to our 4 character pin. We were using a Travellers Cash card from Commonwealth Bank in OZ. For this to work you need to select "default account" or sometimes credit account. I did not try my Commonwealth Bank keycard. You can withdraw a maximum of 2500RMB at most ATM's ...if you withdraw the max you pay lower bank fees.

For some strange reason the only place we could not obtain cash was China's most modern city: Shenzen. We tried about 12 ATM's in the downtown shopping area. Can anyone explain that?
Nov 16, 2007 06:27
  • BETWEENUS21
problem with shenzhen atms is its usually run out of money and not bec it cant accept foreign banks' atm cards - this problem/issue arose out of the China's monetary authority to limit the outflow of its rmb - and shenzhen bec of its very close proximity eith hk - that many hk/foreigners withdrawal from its atms to bring across to hk - as a way to take out rmb - its such majority of "ant" transactions that resulted in banks' atms running out and the banks reluctance to top up more frequently its atms.
Nov 17, 2007 21:27
  • BILLYBAXTER
Thanks for your input BetweenUS. You have a point but I did not see any locals have any problems withdrawing cash from Shenzen's ATM's. From what you say it sounds like the Authorities have removed the ablility of foreigners to withdraw from ATMS, in other words the ATM's in Shenzen do not allow foreign tranasctions....because that is what they are ....I think.
Or is that what you were saying? Amazing that they could or would do that. How do expatriates get cash there ....I guess they have a chinese bank A/C. You would think that tourists would be warned about this.
Nov 17, 2007 21:45
  • BETWEENUS21
oh its not so that the chinese authorities do not allow foreigners to use the atms to get cash - but its aimed at basically hong kongers who have biz in china but as a currency control measure - they are not allowed to take out in larger amt without filing in the necessary form n pay the necessary taxes - hence many hk people would make multiple trips to shenzhen tow withdraw from their china account but using atms. And bec of recent advisory from the chinese finance ministry - the banks in shenzhen are "limiting" the amt of cash in its atms n not topping up its cash more frequently than before - hence geninue foreigners have a problem with atms is mainly bec they simply run ouit of cash. It has nothing to do with any actions against foreigners withdrawing cash from shenzhen atms.
Nov 17, 2007 22:54
  • BILLYBAXTER
Thanks BetweenUS......but we tried about 16 ATM's!
How could the economy run if nobody can withdraw cash at 9pm at night to pay for their 100RMB pizza? Those HKer's have alot to answer for. I guess tourists should avoid Shenzen unless they are cashed up.
Again I don't remember anyone not getting their cash. We talked to a bank official near the YHA and he said his ATM's were not enabled for foreign transactions.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code