Menu
Feasible travel plan in 12 days?
Mar 26, 2006 08:13
  • PRESTONJ44
Hello all,

I am flying into Shanghai on Thursday morning for my first trip to China. I've got somewhat of an ambitious plan and wanted to know if it was workable or a bit too rushed since I only have 11 days to travel.

Shanghai from 3/30-4/1
**train or bus to Huang Shan (any recommendations on which is better/easier?)
Huang Shan 4/2-4/3
**train to Beijing
Beijing 4/4-4/6
**train to Xi'an
Xi'an 4/7-4/8
**train to Shanghai
depart Shanghai 4/10

Thanks!
Mar 26, 2006 21:10
  • ELLYSE
It's too rushed. You're trying to see too much in too little time. 3 days for Beijing is too short! Personally I'd suggest dropping at least 1 destination... which one you drop is up to you!
If you still insist...
Definitely overnight train to Huangshan from Shanghai.
I advise you to fly back to Shanghai after Xi'an, as train tickets are NOT easy to get. Alternatively, change your routing to Shanghai -- Huangshan -- Xi'an -- Beijing -- Shanghai.
Let me know at ellyse99ATyahoo.com (substitute @ for AT, thanks) if you want help getting train tickets for your trip. I'm studying in Shanghai.
Mar 26, 2006 21:25
  • RITA
Did you have your international flight tickets booked already? Because I would not suggest you arrive in and depart from the same city. You can choose to enter China from Beijing and depart from Shanghai or vice versa.
Mar 26, 2006 21:30
  • RITA
Well, Ellyse was right, your plan was too tight. You'd better skip one or two destinations to better enjoy the others, or else you'll end up being tired on the road and not really getting anywhere.
Mar 27, 2006 02:36
  • CALIFORNIA
So rushed!I agree with Ellyse.

3 days for Beijing is too short,maybe you can only go to the Great Wall and Forbidden City!

I think you should better drop in 1 place!If I choose,I will not go to Huangshan.

Good luck!
Mar 27, 2006 11:50
  • PRESTONJ44
Thank you all for your responses!

Seems like the consensus is to drop one of the places to visit. Should I go to Huang Shan or to Xi'an? I plan to return this summer for a longer visit.

Thank you all! Should you ever have questions about traveling in the UK or the US, please let me know.
Mar 27, 2006 18:36
  • RITA
If natural beauties surmount historical wonders in your heart, Huangshan is highly recommended, if you prefer the later, Xian should not be missed.
Mar 27, 2006 19:13
  • CALIFORNIA
IMO,Xi'an can't be lost!You know,the city as the capital for 13 dynasties,so long~~~~~~It stands for China in some ways!
Mar 27, 2006 19:30
  • VIVEN
I am familiar with Beijing and Xi'an, personally, I think three days for Beijing is Ok, because most of Beijing historical sits are under rejuvenation (don't know if I use the right word:),such as the biggest Hall of Supreme Harmony in the Forbidden City, and the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest in the Temple of Heaven. But for Xi'an two days is not enough, there are so many great places to visit, such as the Histroy Musume, the Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Mausoleum Qin Shi Huang di(I wish I could go there once more), and also Mountain Hua which is famous for its steepness.
Take time and enjoy your trip !!
Mar 28, 2006 08:00
  • JABAROOTOO
If you plan to come back then perhaps you could open jaw your ticket and just do Shanghai, Huangshan and Beijing as this will make a more compact trip. You may even fit in a visit to Suzhou and/or Zhouzhuang or even Hangzhou which are all in close proximity ot Shanghai.

Leave Xian for your next visit and couple it with more things out west.......

Mar 28, 2006 20:49
hello, i think it's a bit rushed to travel so many places in only 10 days. i have a very good place to recommend, that is Yunnan. It's on the south china, really a beautiful place, there you can find the mysterious Shangri-la. And don't miss Lijiang, a peaceful town beside the magnificent snow mountain. I've been there twice and still love to go for a third and fourth time. i bet you will not regret to go such a wonderful place in china. here is the link you can find some pictures of yunnan. http://www.chinaonline.cn.com/china_gallery/travel/Galleries_Sub_travel.aspx?mid=10222
you can also find many useful information on the website about china and travel. i like the website. hope you have great days in China
little chinese devil :)
Post a Reply to: Feasible travel plan in 12 days?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code