Menu
Hiking at Great Wall and Boat-Trip/ Hiking at Guilin Region afterwards
Aug 26, 2004 22:17
  • ZERBIN
Hello,
we are planning a hiking-tour at the Graet Wall during our stay in China in October. We were thinking about 3 days. Afterwards we are planning to go to Guilin Region for another 3 days of hiking or a boat-trip. Therefor I?e got the following questions:
1. Does anyone know a good starting point for a 3-days hiking tour at the Great Wall and how to get there from Beijing?
2. What would be the best way of going directly from the Great Wall to Guilin Region?
2. Does anyone know a good provider/agency for a hiking/boats tour in Guilin Region?
Thank you for any advise or hint... :-)
Aug 27, 2004 09:30
  • BILLIE
Sorry, can I ask you a question?
Is it your fist time to Beijing or Great Wall?
If so, I strongly suggest that you spend about 2 days for visiting Beijing city inside, and one day additional for Badaling Great Wall. Because there is no travel agency who mainly majors only in the Great Wall travel. All Beijing trip or itinerary they offer just take Great Wall as one part. And most Great Wall hikig tour are all self-organised by some Great Wall lovers and fans, and most of them are Chinese.

So why not take Great Wall as one of your Beijing trip?

Just my opinion, for your reference :D
Aug 28, 2004 13:49
  • MACMA
Greatwall

If you like hiking do not visit the greatwall by badalin..........you should go (see lonely planet ) to less famous parts of the greatwall.......and you can hike endlessly in the most desserted places of the great wall..........we hiked 1 day and only met 3 persones...........one women whos backyard we started in ............one guy up at the greatwall from canada and an old chinese guy ............the greatwall is here very original in comparrison with the comercial badalin................

from beijing to Guilin (and i suggest Yangsuo and even beter small places around Yangsuo near the river)you have to options:

* directly by train or plane to Guilin (a very longtrip by train)
* a stop at pingyo and/or Xian by train from beijing and from xian by plane to guilin (instead of 33 hours by train take the plane 2 hours and it cost us 100 euros per person)....

About the boattrips be sure you get on a small( not bamboe) boot. Because the government has regulated that after some incidents of drowning every body should go on a very large boat.......but it is much more beautiful to do the trip with a small (not bamboe) boot...in Yangsuo are enough small travelagencys who can help you.......And in the guilin area you can organise your own hiking trips you do not nead a guide because this area is used the receive foreign visiters and you can rent a bike almost every were and there are good maps availible............

if you have more questions or need more details .....let me know

regards,

Martin

Aug 30, 2004 10:49
  • DAISY
there has the direct train from Beijing to Guilin, why to Xi'am as the transfer point? You can take T5 at the Beijing West Station, which only takes about 22 hours. If you mind the train is slow, you also can take flight.

About Guilin, I think taking boat to Yangshuo is the must-do, and the natural scenery of the both river sides is the must-see.
Yangshuo is China's most popular backpacker destination. In fact, Yangshuo has become legendary as a place to get away from China. The village is set amongst limestone and karst peaks, and is filled with quaint alleys, shops and restaurants that serve many kinds of western foods. The surrounding land is flat and perfect for bicycle riding and with your choice of peaks to climb and local villages to visit, Yangshuo has plenty to do!
Aug 30, 2004 18:30
  • ZERBIN
Dear Billie,
thank you for you reply. We will stay 3 days at the end of our journey in Beijing - hope, that will serve the city... :-)

But thank you again,

Anja
Aug 30, 2004 18:35
  • ZERBIN
Dear Martin,
thank you for your helpful advises on our CHina-Tour. I will take your offer and conntact you with further questions as they will surely arrise :-))

Kind regards,
Anja
Aug 30, 2004 18:37
  • ZERBIN
Dear Daisy,
thank you so much for you advise. We will surely have an exiting stay in China... :-)

Kind regards,
Anja
Post a Reply to: Hiking at Great Wall and Boat-Trip/ Hiking at Guilin Region afterwards
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code