Menu
travel permit
Mar 30, 2006 02:47
  • WOWOO
Would anyone kindly tell me what travel documents are required when a foreigner plans for a travel in Tibet? I found some information on web but they really differ and make me dizzy.
1. what are the differences between the 'opened areas' and the 'unopened areas'? Do most of the Tibetan places keep unopened to foreigners? where are them?
2. yes i know a foreigner needs a travel permit,--the TTB permit before making the trip to Tibet. any other documents are needed except for the TTB permit, possport and visa?
3. It is said only groups can enter Tibet while individual foreign visitor is prohibited. is it true? or is to join a tour the only way to visit Tibet for a foreigner? if affirmative, is it possible for me to leave the tour after entering Tibet?

Anyone who gives a hand, especially foreigners having made trips to Tibet, would be highly appreciated. thank you .
Mar 30, 2006 05:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Think you will find that is not the case. I have met several people who have traveled solo to Tibet.
If you plan on going through Chengdu may I suggest that you contact Sam's Guesthouse for more information about independant travel arrangements to Tibet. I haven't used them for Tibet but have stayed there and taken the Panda tour and another evening city outing which I thought was good value for money.

yahoo.com|samtour

If you do go on a group permit you will be expected to travel with the group. There are a lot more places open to foreigners these days but you will have to check on the closed areas when you arrive. They may be subject to change without notice.
Post a Reply to: travel permit
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code