Menu
The NEED for Software to View IP Addresses
Mar 30, 2006 11:44
  • ITSUPPORT

CHRISTINE | -General- | 2006-02-13 02:17:49 GMT-

TCG forum allows one member using more than one IDs here.
The situation that one person registers several different IDs is really out of our control.

https://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=20883

!!!!

There are several makers of forum software. Some of the earlier made forum programs did not allow for the administrator to view IP addresses. Almost all mainstream programs allow for IP address viewing by the Admin only and allow for banning IP addresses from posting or viewing the forum.

IP addresses a foolproof system?

No, users might use a dial up account or they can access the website via Proxy servers or maybe their cable modem or DSL company forces them to use their company proxy server. This makes it very difficult to block these people. If a Proxy server is the case, then you can block the proxy server IP address. Dial up users are a pain in the proverbial to ban.

Usually the forum software is Free. The most popular free forum programs are PHPbb(linux php) and Snitz(Windows asp). PHPbb is a bit clumsy to administer. Snitz is easy to administer.

Mar 30, 2006 11:53
  • SABSG
Everyone should now see the need for software to view IP addresses. This would prevent the problems that occur when one user has multiple ID's which appears to have been the case in this forum for many months now.
Mar 31, 2006 08:21
  • PINETREE
Illustrating a point and up to mischief are 2 different things altogether. I too can do the same to anyone here in the same manner. But I do not wish to stoop to such a low level.
Mar 31, 2006 18:18
  • PINETREE
To me the problem is not with multiple IDs, though I personally do not support this as well. But so what if S & W used other IDs - as long as they behave themselves. It is the personality behind the IDs . Even if they use their original IDS but behave bad, they are bad.
Here, we can see clearly that 1-2 professionals, particularly 1 that holds a job that is supposed to set an example to the students that he teaches, to disguise themselves & go around doing mischief, is childish/immatured. I feel so embarassed for himm - how does he face his students, school colleagues, etc ?
In this case, I don't think it was a matter of illustration. It started off with mischief and only when caught/recognised, did the illustration excuse came about.
Mar 31, 2006 23:25
  • SNOWBIRD
I have multiple IDs and so do many other members here. I won't go into the reasons why I have multiple IDs cos its not important anymore. What you guys could do is look at Pinetree's comments. He is right. So why does multiple IDs bother the rest of you. So be good, take the S.U.M.O. way. And that is : Shut Up, Move On.
Post a Reply to: The NEED for Software to View IP Addresses
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code