Menu
Recharging Digital Camera Batteries
Apr 13, 2006 11:44
  • FORD35ROD
My wife and I are traveling to China this September and want to make sure we will be able to recharge our camera and cam corder batteries. We will be staying in 4 to 5 star hotels. Can anyone tell me if the hotels have 11o outlets or do we need a convertor? If so, what wattage convertor? Any help will be appreciated
Thanks Frank
Apr 13, 2006 20:06
  • MAY001
Many 4 or 5 star hotels provide convertors as far as I am concerned. But I suggest you to bring a convertor.
You may read:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/electricity.htm

Good luck!
Apr 13, 2006 23:47
  • ROGERINCA
FORD35ROD, Hi !!

Yes, MAY001 is correct, most of the 4/5 Star hotels will have a 110 AC outlet.
She is also accurate in advising you bring your own converter too.

Most hotels will have a minimum of one outlet, usually in the bathroom, that is rated 110. And in some newer hotels, they will also usually have another one in the living room area, near where the electric tea pot and refrigerator are located.

As MAY says, you should still bring a converter with you because the 110 outlets in the bathroom are usually for very low wattage items like electric razors and/or for charging your cell phone battery. It will most likely have a little note that says do not exceed a certain wattage. Also, on one occasion, I found the outlet to be inoperable.

I use the converter for a hair dryer, CD player, and or my small DVD player which I plug into the hotel TV. It would also most likely be best for your camcorder too.

I am assuming you are in the USA ?? If so, you can get a good one at Wal-Mart, in the luggage dept. for about $18.95. I have two of these, which I bring with me on each trip to China, one is a spare. It is labeled “1875 Watt International Converter Set” Model WVK-1875CK, and it includes a few adapter plugs as well. It has a two position switch for low-0-25 watts and high-26-1875 watts. And, of course, it is made in China !! :) :) Have a great trip !! By the way, I am partial to Early Fords, myself !!!

Apr 15, 2006 08:02
  • JABAROOTOO
Just for the record China wattage is 220W and the pins are either flat parallel and flat angled (three pin with no earth).

It's a good idea to bring you own converter.
Apr 17, 2006 01:18
  • JAVAGURL
Hello Ford! The above posters are really helpful aren't they, but if you're staying only in hotels especially 4-5 star hotels, Save your money on the converters.

Reasons being, most charger plugs are made for universal use these days unless your's are very old. If you're from the States and your plugs are evenly flat on both sides, you'll be fine. Most good hotels, even homes in China have multi-function plug sockets. I was getting a headache over this incident a couple of months ago. Spent 30 bucks on a converter and ended up not needing it.

As mention before, if you're staying only in hotels, just ask the receptionist for a converter if your's don't fit. Most are free, but require a deposit.
Apr 17, 2006 05:00
  • YEMMIE
Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you meant to say that Chinese voltage is 220 volts.

Ohm's Law

P (wattage) = E (voltage) X I (Amperage)

In China, most wall outlets are 220 volts.

Everyone out there, please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to pass along false information.

Apr 17, 2006 08:56
  • ZENGYONGYUAN
Yes, my friend, you are perfectly correct... the mains voltage is 220v ac. ALL homes are well furnished with the 2 and 3 pin dual sockets, but I know for a fact ( because I use an extension lead from UK...) that the 3 pin socket has the earth connection, and it's where it's normally found, namely the top pin, which is straight, the other pins being angled. Your shaver sockets, are perfectly equipped for the wattage of small to medium battery chargers, such as camcorder and digital camera, and may I be so bold as to suggest you check your chargers??? because many of them have the ability to run on mains voltage from between 110v to 220v, thus not requiring any form of converter... I know all of mine say this on the back plate, my cellphone charger says 100v to 240v !! and all run very happily plugged into my sockets in ChengDu... Hope this helps you....
Apr 17, 2006 09:22
  • JABAROOTOO
Quite correct

My mistake but you all knew what I meant right?

We have 110, 220 and 240 depending on where you live.
Apr 18, 2006 03:03
  • ZENGYONGYUAN
ONE more point for you.... if, like mine, your chargers have the pins for the mains incorporated in the whole body of the unit... it is a very simple procedure to bring with you a small 'wander lead', when in China, you then buy a plug, and remove your fitted plug from your lead, and fit the Chinese plug... then you are fully equipped for any of your your electrical gadjets..
Apr 18, 2006 11:40
  • FORD35ROD
Thanks very much for useful info. I'll check out Wal-Mart. I am in the US (Pennsylvania) and glad you like early fords. Thanks again
Apr 18, 2006 11:44
  • FORD35ROD
Thanks to all that responded. Very helpful!!
Ford35Rod
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Recharging Digital Camera Batteries
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code