Menu
enlighten me about the mansions
Apr 19, 2006 04:07
  • GOT2GO
Along with typical hotels I've see both the Chunking and Mirador Mansions listed. I've also notice drugs, hookers, teensy and other words associated with them.

The addresses have me wondering what these places were or are. They obviously aren't converted old houses. Is there an interesting history about them? Do they date back to the cave ages or something? Just on principle, I would like to walk by if not into one them.

If the example below is the 12th floor, what are the other references?

12/FL, Block A1 A2 F1 F4 Mirador Mansion

Below does that mean room 707 on the 7th floor, for a hotel address???

Room 707, 7/F Sincere House, 83 Argyle Street

Hopefully you can tolerate my strange post without giving me grief.

Thanks.
Apr 19, 2006 04:38
  • RITA
I got the following from www.hotelsclub.com about DRAGON HOSTEL in Hong Kong:

"Dragon Hostel is located at MongKok, the well-known shopping area in Hong Kong. Many Shopping malls, street markets and entertainment places located nearby. There are plenty of local style, Chinese, Western, Asian and vegetarian restaurants surround the building. All 32 rooms in the hostel are equipped with amenities such as air conditioning, television, direct-dial telephone (FREE local calls), bathroom facilities, writing desk, drawer and storage place. Economy rooms that have shared bathrooms to satisfy the budget travellers.The hostel has complied with government regulations on fire safety and building safety. All rooms are kept extremely clean and comfortable by friendly staffs. 24hrs services and local travel information desk. FREE boardband internet access available.Dragon Hostel also provides services include China/Vietnam visas and Hong Kong1-day tours."

Yes, "7/F, Sincere House, 83 Argyle Street, MongKok - Kowloon, Hong Kong" is the address of the hostel. :-)
Apr 19, 2006 18:44
  • GOT2GO
Looking at the addresses, do these 'accommodations' have one room on one floor of a large building? What the address with blocks and a floor number mean?

The words I saw associated with them in reviews implied that they must be in a nasty area. I was just wondering if there is some history associated with them, like the one below.

In area where I live at one time an old house used to be a halfway house for people kicking the drug habit. Later when it was turned into a bed and breakfast, when members of the old crowd would slip they would head back there not realizing it wasn't a halfway house anymore.

Are they actually acceptable places to stay with merely a negative past? So often I see these names that it seems like they are a landmark of sorts.

Thanks for the information.
Jul 17, 2008 09:47
GUEST22523 I have been to Mirador Mansion 7th Floor. It is very clean and safe. For backpackers its cheap HK 150 for 1 person and HK200 for 2. For group of 5 and up HK400.
Post a Reply to: enlighten me about the mansions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code