teach in AUgust. I am just wondering if there is anyone out there I
can tlak with who can give me some adivce regarding this move. I
also need to know if there are any sweet night spots, and if you
guys can get NHL via satellite. Anyways please let me know if you
are willing to chat and help me with some info regarding this
beautful cit. THanks.

Apr 27, 2006 20:11
  • WINDENERGY
Hello Canadian teacher moving to Xiamen.
My name is Cortlandt, I am an American English teacher living in Changxing, Zhejiang Province.

I am posting a reply to your request because I know that I provide some help to you, even if it isn't about Xiamen. Living in China has been a rich and wonderful experience for me (only been here for 2 months). Changxing is more of an 'old-fashioned 'small-town', located between the metropolises of Shanghai and Hangzhou. My understanding is that Xiamen is a 'modern' city, with many friendly natives and a huge need for English teachers.

I am considering teaching in Xiamen in 2007, agter my one-year contract in Changxing ends. Currently, I don't believe China has access to Satellite TV. At least I've never seen a single dish in Shanghai, Hangzhou or Changxing. You will probably have to subscribe to an internet feed i.e. nhl.com if you want to watch hockey in China. I may be wrong....you should post this question in the forum and I'm sure the community will respond.

Please, feel free to ask me any questions involving your transition from Canada to Xiamen. The Chinese culture is quite different than the westerners, get ready for some rude differences.

Also, since your a hockey fan, I just wanted to put in my wishes for the Edmonton Oilers to upset the Red Wings in the first round. Deep-down, however, I'll be rooting for the Colorado Avalanche to bring the Stanley Cup back to Denver!
Cheers,
Windenergy, a.k.a. 'Breeze'
Apr 27, 2006 22:45
Hi! Welcome to Xiamen & welcome to China. And a big welcome to TCG. Just keep logging-in to TCG. I'm sure you will find many things to talk about. You will surely feel right at home!! A home away from home.
Jun 1, 2006 10:31
  • DEEPOCEAN
hi:
Welcome to Xiamen in August. I am a tour guide in Xiamen. I think I can give you some useful information.
Xiamen is quite nice city. There are lots of bars,disco,coffee shop and restaurant. You will never feel longly after your work. You can rend an apartment with 2 rooms by 1000-1500RMB per month. But I am not sure whether you can watch the NHL via satellite. Because satellite receiver installation in private house is forbidden by government. But you can watch in most hotels.
I am glad to chat with you more about Xiamen.
My email is gmail.com|deepoceanworld.
Waiting for your reply!
Jun 2, 2006 19:13
  • WCTMAN
Hello fellow Canuck! Welcome to China. Get ready for a wonderful year. On to hockey: you will find it very difficult to watch games here. Here in Xi'An, it is downright impossible. You will have to subscribe to an internet feed, and watch hockey on your PC.

Ditto for NFL. You can watch plenty of soccer, though. The Chinese are football/soccer fanatics and CCTV5 ( i think ) broadcast games from all over Europe.

Dec 1, 2006 23:25
  • RAWSUSHI
I'd love to communicate with you laowai (foreigners) living in Xiamen.... i'm in the process of (trying to) finalize a position there.

Dec 2, 2006 10:50
  • GRIZ326
...so are you going to teach the really important things like Newfie jokes? ...and the proper Canuck way of saying "out & about" ???

Sorry, I couldn't resist...I'm deployed to an engineering team in Canada. ;)

Here's hoping you have a grand experience!
Post a Reply to: Canadian teacher moving to Xiamen.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code