Menu
White marks on trees
Apr 27, 2006 03:53
  • KYLE
Along the road you will always see trees with white painted along their trunks.
Anyone know what its for?
Apr 27, 2006 03:56
  • RITA
I heard that was pesticide.
Apr 27, 2006 04:46
  • GAMSTAR
Rita has always shown her great intelligence, her kindness, her honesty, her joy of life, and of China, here in the TCG forum and community.

HAPPY MAYDAY RITA !!! We [all] love you and care for you so very much !!! :) :) :)

Apr 27, 2006 04:53
  • CONNY129
it used for protect the trees from vermiculating :)
Apr 27, 2006 20:16
  • CALIFORNIA
Usually,we do it in winter,and there were two function:

Yes,you are right,Rita!

The other is keep warm:-)
Apr 29, 2006 05:57
  • KYLE
This was my first impression as well. Looking at the trees however, I see that all of the ones along the road have this paint. There are trees directly behind them though and they are just as healthy. If you look into a forest most trees dont have this pesticide but the look fine.

Any thoughts?
Apr 29, 2006 07:38
  • INCHINA
We told the same thing by the biology textbook as RITA said.
maybe there are too many trees in the forest,also maybe the trees in city are much easlier to get vermiculated, so u can see this phenomenon.
Apr 29, 2006 19:43
  • MAY001
The Mayors care about the tress in the city, but not the trees in a forest.
Apr 29, 2006 20:03
  • RITA
Well, here is what I think, usually the trees in and around the cities are the same sort, so that they are easily to attract the same kind of pest, once infected, it’s disaster, so they use pesticide. There are a variety of trees and grasses in the forest, the pests or parasite usually can not cause damage in a very large scale. That’s why they don’t paint the forest trees. ^_^
Apr 30, 2006 23:24
  • ROGERINCA
Hi Kyle,

There are two purposes for painting the trunks of trees white with a white paint, or paint-like substance. Yes, one purpose is as a retardant for pests; however, I have read that this may not be all that effective, as a measure to ensure the health of the tree ??

Next, and most importantly, with respect to trees that ‘line’ the roadway/highway, the purpose/intent was one of highway safety. During periods of low visibility on the roadway, most especially at night, wherein the headlights of the cars would reflect back from the painted tree trunks and make them more visible.

Today, this is not usually maintained as a practice, as it was in the past in the US. Here in California, on many of the old highways the were the predecessors to the modern Inter-States, the trunks of the trees were painted white for this reason. The older portions of Route 99, traversing California’s Central Valley, and many other highways from the era of the 1930’s-40’s and continuing into the 60’s, saw the roadway lined with trees that were painted white, from the base upwards about six feet. One can still see today, the traces of the white paint on some of the large older remaining trees, which line the more historic highways in this state.

Also, BTW: Yes Rita, the 3rd post in this thread, was not authored by me !! This person used a derivative of my name, as a member ID, and has cut-n-pasted my words from the Happy Birthday Rita, thread, which ran here in late March. As you can see by this member ID, it is one the large group of member ID’s which were removed from this forum/community by the Administrative Staff at TCG.

I am sorry if this deception caused you any confusion Rita ??
May 6, 2006 20:41
  • KYLE
Thanks for the reply Roger.

Check out my Smiling moon thread. What do you think of that?
Post a Reply to: White marks on trees
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code