Menu
how to get from Hong Kong to Chongquig?
May 4, 2006 15:56
  • MAGPIE
I would like to get recommendations for traveling from Hong Kong to Chongquig. I'd love to hear suggestions for the fastest route, the most scenic, and/or the cheapest route.
My dream is to be on and around the Yangtze River, see the Three gorges area, etc. Is there a way for a foreigner to get onto the river without taking an organized tour? Or is a tour recommended? any ideas about trekking in the area?

Thanks.
May 5, 2006 01:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Magpie,
You most certainly can see the gorges without doing a tour. How long do you want to spend getting to CQ??

Fasted and cheapest way is to take ferry to Shenzhen and fly up but of course you'll see nothing.
My advise is to check the make and some of the famous places you have heard of and take the train or bus between these stopping for as long as you feel you need.

Bus Shenzhen to Wuzhou Guangxi 6 hours
Wuzhou to Yangshuo/Guilin 7 hours

Guilin via Longsheng and Sanjiang to Kaili by bus (read my reviews of this trip in reverse) takes about a week if you keep moving but could take longer if you really want to enjoy the villages and the people

Kaili to CQ (overnight train)
or
fly up from Guiyang which is less than 2 hours from Kaili

This will give you a pretty good look at things and is just one of many routes you could take.

You can do some trekking in the Wu Jiang reagion near Gongtan. Have a look at this site for walks http://chinabackpacker.com/old/index.php

or 'google' a place called Shennongjia Biosphere Reserve. I'm considering going to have a look at this place during the summer.

Another interesting spot is near Fengjie Tiankeng - A Heavenly Pit on Earth which is the largest collapsed Doline in the world.

When do you expect to be in CQ? Hope this is helpful. Have a good trip.
May 5, 2006 01:12
  • JABAROOTOO
PS
Don't forget to read everything you can on this site about the river and all the reviews about the areas you think you might visit.

If you can't find the information you need then a good google will usually yeils a bit more but may take some time!!!!!!!!!!!
May 6, 2006 02:17
  • MIALI
Hi Magpie,
you don't have to take an organized tour. But any one who go to the Three gorges usually go there through travel agency. Because you have to take a boat, the schedule is usually fixed. It's not like travelling in other places, where you can arrange your trip and have many ways of transportation. You can only buy a boat ticket and travel with the boat, and stop in the middle to visit some famous spots.
But I still hear some people trekking in that area. Being a foreigner to trek, you have to be aware of Chinese and local situations. That would be a challenging, also exciting!
Have fun!
May 6, 2006 02:30
  • MIALI
P.S.
I went to Three Geoges a few year ago when the dam is not built up. I went with a ship(boat? which is more proper?).
Two of my American friends went there several weeks ago. They went with a ship too. And they are also familiar with the trip from Hongkong to Chongqing, since they travelled a couple of times.
So if you need more help, I am glad to help.
May 7, 2006 06:56
  • JABAROOTOO
Just reviewing what has been added to your thread and I apologize for all my typing mistakes. I wrote so much I didn't check it too well.

But most importantly I forgot to mention that theres a fast boat 'Kuai Chuan' otherwise known as the hydrofoil from Chongqing to Wushan and Wanzhou to Yichang. Can't do it in one trip. If you need more information read about it in 'travel tips transportation' for Chongqing and Yangtze river
May 7, 2006 07:53
  • LITY
Hi MAGPIE,the fastest way is to take a bus from HongKong to Shengzhen,then transfering a plane to Chongqing,because the air-ticket is cheap(usually70%off),From Chongqing taking a bus at 07:30am to Wuzhou for 3hrs,fanally transfer a hydrofoil to Yichang about 19:00pm.
If you need more information,please reach yahoo.com.cn|jimmy_yj88
Regards!
Post a Reply to: how to get from Hong Kong to Chongquig?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code