Menu
xi'an for a westener
May 10, 2006 09:12
  • OSIRIS
can anyone please tell me what i should expect as a westerner, by living in xi'an, it will be my first time in china, so natuaraly im a little worried!
thanks
May 10, 2006 09:32
  • LOVEISVERB
The hot summer is a big concern. :-)

Welcome to China!
May 10, 2006 14:20
  • ROGERINCA
Hi OSIRIS,

There are several members of this TCG forum, both westerner and Chinese, who live in Xi’an and know and understand it intimately !!! Your post was made at ‘sleepy-time’ in China, so when they awake and turn on their computers, later in your afternoon/evening, I am sure you will find more than one response to your thread !!

Do not worry much about being “worried”!! LOL Before my first trip to China, I was a little worried about what to expect. Now, I cannot wait to return, again and again !! I have a very good friend who accompanied me on my most recent trip to (Guangdong) China in December. He, too, was a little worried and anxious about his experience. Today, he is again back in China (Sichuan Prov.) and he is in love with China, and feels so much emotion and connection with this great nation, culture and people.

Ha-Ha, do not worry so much about the heat of the summer !! China, much like America, has its hot regions and its cooler regions, depending on the latitude and geographic aspect. I would much rather be somewhat hot than somewhat cold !! This is why they created Iced Tea and air conditioned hotel rooms and shopping malls !!! Where I live, near Sacramento, it can reach 110+ F (44.33 C) on many days in the summer !!

I think you will be so pleased and feel so comfortable very quickly during your first trip to beautiful China !! I think you will quickly fall in love with the culture, history, and people of this great nation !! That’s my perspective; now have a great time !!! :) :)
May 10, 2006 20:37
  • MAY001
Are you going to live in Xian? Or just traveling?
May 11, 2006 04:58
  • CONNY129
the weather and air may won't meet your demand ,but the hsitorical combines modern atmosphere will bring you a different taste , and the local snacks are so delicious , you will like it in Xi'an :)
May 12, 2006 03:25
  • CALIFORNIA
Xi'an is a good city for travelling and living,don't worry about anything!!!
May 12, 2006 03:41
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Once I read an article written by a westener. It said that expats will encounter three periods of time while living in China:

First, you are fascinated by China. China is so different to your own country and you will start to indulge in the culture, the art, the people, the food, the life style, almost everything!

Second, you begin to feel bad and even hate this country. It is so far from home and friends! It's such a different places that no one can speak English (Surely exaggerated)! Many discommodious things! O, you want to leave China and come back to the familiar home.

Third, you finally conquer all the disadvantages and begin to love China again. You find China another home!

So no matter you are going to live or travel in China, make good preparations to see a different world!
May 15, 2006 06:31
  • OSIRIS
thankyou everyone
im a lot more relaxed now,in fact im actually excited!!
May 16, 2006 04:16
  • WCTMAN
As a westerner living in Xi'An, I want to tell you first hand that this is a great city to live in. The people are wonderfully friendly, the food is outstanding in quality and variety, the transit system is efficient, and there is so much to see and do that you will be busy for a years worth of weekends...The winter is mild ( by Canadian standards, anyway ), the spring and fall are fabulous. The summer is very hot, that is true, but you get used to it.

I could write a million words about the experience of living here for the past year or so..Come to Xi'An, you will not be disappointed.
May 27, 2006 01:02
  • HARALD
Hi,
to give you a bit more detailed answer, I would need some facts from you:
age, come with family?, hoby, other expats from the same company here already?, how long will you be here and so on. If you do not want to discuss in the forum, write me an e-mail.
Harald
Ps. the weather is a concern, but for me the air itself is a bigger problem...
Post a Reply to: xi'an for a westener
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code