Menu
Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Shijiazhuang
May 10, 2006 20:04
  • RITA
Shijiazhuang石家庄, if you feel it's like a name of a small village, you are right! Shijiazhuang was a village of about over a hundred families and the population was only 600, under control of Huolu County (present day Luquan, but the former administrator is now administrated )

When I wrote this, a famous Chinese saying emerged (coarse though) - 三十年河东,三十年河西, how true! Geomantic omens change, people's luck change.

The name of Shijiazhuang was first appeared in Ming Dynasty, but how the village gained this name, no authoritative answer can be found, there are two possiblities.

Well, I have to say sometimes, Chinese were not good at naming the places they lived in poeticly and euphonicly, but very descriptive and practical. Like Shijiazhuang(石家庄) probably means the village has only ten families- Ten Family Village, so 石 was transformation of 十(ten). Another possiblity is that, that all the people in the village were from the same familay root, Shi. This might be difficult to understand for our foreign friends, but it was usual in rural areas in China, even today, the whole village all relatives with the same family name. Even now, there is a village named Dongjiazhuang in Shandong Province, I and those who live in that specific village are biologically connected, those are all my relatives:-) But Dongjiazhuang has not yet developed into a capital city, I'll wait and see. :-)

Shijiazhuang now is proudly tell the world, it is the biggest village with the population of over 9 million.
May 10, 2006 20:24
  • MAY001
My hometown, a small village near Qinling Range, is also full of my relatives!!
May 11, 2006 00:50
  • ROGERINCA
I am sorry if I sound ‘redundant’Rita……..but this is all so very interesting !!

I must copy and save this for inclusion with my notes on Chinese culture and history !!

This is not the type of information one readily finds in some tourism book on China !! The TCG forum is such a fantastic source of information, because of its great membership !! There are so many aspects of the history and culture of China, that absolutely intrigue me !! I only wish I had additional time in my busy life to absorb and study even more !! Moreover, as another member recently remarked, I wish I had discovered China, when I was 30, and not a few years ago, when I was already age 50 !!! LOL :)
May 11, 2006 03:37
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,May,

Your hometown was also called Shijiazhuang???

Actually,I have no idea of this city,I don't like it!
May 11, 2006 03:57
  • MAY001
o, no, Cali. My hometown is called Duzhuang (Lonely Village). I really don't like this name.
May 11, 2006 03:59
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,

There are many "Zhuang"s in China,it is a cute name:-)
Post a Reply to: Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Shijiazhuang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code