Menu
Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Zhengzhou
May 11, 2006 19:23
  • RITA
When I started Zhengzhou part, I remembered an article by Nicholas Kristof at New York Times, "China, the World's Capital - From Kaifeng to New York, glory is as ephemeral as smoke and clouds "(从开封到纽约, 辉煌如过眼烟云。) Kaifeng used to be the capital of Henan, and the world's capital 1300 years ago. Glory faded, splendors gone, dust fell, all returned back to peace...

But I will leave Kaifeng to the next category hopefully, if I could continue.

There are many cities now including a "Zhou州" in their names, Zhou was once a unit and it indicated a specific position endowed by the feudal central government. Now, Zhou does not have that special meaning in the names of cities, examples like Zhengzhou郑州,Lanzhou兰州,Guangzhou广州, Xuzhou徐州, Huizhou惠州, Wenzhou 温州, Chenzhou郴州... ... But in minority group residencial areas/ regions, Zhou is still a unit means prefecture, examples like Linxia Hui Autonomous Prefecture 临夏回族自治州 and Gannan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture甘南藏族自治州 in Gansu Province and Aba Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture阿坝藏族自治州in Sichuan... (All the above prefectures I mentioned are worth a trip:-))

Zhengzhou, the captical of Henan Province(the Mid-land), used to be Zheng State in Spring-Autumn Period, first gained its name (Zhengzhou) in Sui Dynasty(around 580s), though ephemeral, Sui was one important dynasties established a good foundation for the followed Tang.

Its name was changed frequently as the following list:

In 596, Guanzhou 管州,
In 604 Zhengzhou 郑州
In 607 Xingyangjun 荥阳郡
In 618 Zhengzhou 郑州
in 742 Xingyangjun 荥阳郡
In 758 Zhengzhou 郑州
In 1724 Zhilizhou 直隶州
In 1734 Zhengzhou 郑州
In 1904 Zhilizhou 直隶州
In 1913 Zhengxian 郑县

At least to me, the name changing process was very interesting, the name of ZHENGZHOU郑州, here I'd like to quote and revise Saberxlcr's say: the name of Zhengzhou is just like the moon, sometimes it disappeared, but always comes back. Thanks!
May 11, 2006 20:18
  • PINETREE
Wow, very learned.
Am learning more about China. Please carry on with whatever knowledge u have to pass out to us.
May 11, 2006 21:39
  • ROGERINCA
Hmmmm?? I had always assumed the ‘zhou’ in Guangzhou, was due to its being the ‘center’ of Guangdong Province !!?? But I now learn this is not the case.

Yes, Pinetree, this is all so interesting, even to those of us, who do not play golf!! LOL :) :)

Thank you, again Rita !!! As I am interested in Guangzhou, maybe you will have some insights into the change of names for this city over the decades too ??

I understand it was known as Canton for a long time, due to pronunciation derived from when the French had a colonial reach into China, many years ago?? Even today, many Chinese in America, still refer to Canton, as their place of origin.

Also, whatever you can find on Shanghai, would also be of interest to me !! Since I was a little boy, stories told in America, of ‘Old Shanghai’ always captivated me; I think this is what led to my interest and awareness of China at an early age. I must visit Shanghai later in this year, even though I am told most of the old historic portions, no longer exist ??!!

There are other aspects of interest too, Rita, but I will not overwhelm you now !! LOL

Thank you so much !!! :) :)
May 12, 2006 03:09
  • CALIFORNIA
Henan is a centrel place for China,and Anyang\Luoyang and Kaifeng all were as the capitals in old time.

I don't like the city Zhengzhou,but I like Kaifeng:-)A comfortable city!
May 12, 2006 04:05
  • MAY001
It seemed that Zhengzhou now it's only an important transportation conjunction?? The long history of each city & county & village of China are fading. What a sad thing!
Jun 26, 2006 03:28
  • KEVINWARDCFC
Thanks Rita - a very comprehensive expositions. I was happy to read it, not only for the knowledge it contained, but also because I spent some days in Zhengzhou last month. The memories are still fresh. I could not help noticing that in spite of its glorious past, this city now is home to more poor people than many other cities in China. One sees hundreds every morning near the station looking for work. Beggars come across as more aggressive. Thousands seem to eek out a living by hawking small goods on side streets - always being moved on by police and always finding another spot to sell their wares.

May 11, 2008 23:29
  • SGAYIWU
ROGERINCA , write: I understand it was known as Canton for a long time, due to pronunciation derived from when the French had a colonial reach into China, many years ago?? Even today, many Chinese in America, still refer to Canton, as their place of origin.

I do think Franch had any colonial in China in anytime. Canton is old name for GUANGDONG now. Canton is the name from contonese. and Guangdong is from Mandarin.
Post a Reply to: Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Zhengzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code