Menu
Not so spicy Chinese food
May 13, 2006 03:20
  • NONGTUNG
I recently settled in Kunming from the US. Love the weather and people. But, I find the local food way too spicy and salty for my taste (and health). Any suggestions on good Chinese food prepared mildly? Please reply or email me at aol.com|Nongtung My stomach and I thank you in advance.
May 13, 2006 09:45
  • ETHNICEAST
i believe in most places you can request for less oil, and less salt. it is the same way when we are in thailand, we will tell the shop not to put sugar when they fry noodles.

on the other hand, sometimes it is a matter of getting used to it. maybe your body can handle it and most old folks there can. especially during cold season, insufficient salt might be difficult on your body to fight the cold. i dont know, sometimes i get leg cramps.

but i am surprised that you are asking for less spice as a thai?
May 13, 2006 12:38
  • MISHEN
On Yuantong Street near the temple there are some good vegetarian restaurants - Buddhist food generally avoids chilli spice and is healthy too!
May 13, 2006 20:42
  • NONGTUNG
Thanks for the replies. I did try to ask for "mild" (in hot pepper spice) at restaurants. The dishes still came back way too spicy. In one case, I asked for "no hot pepper spice," the chef came out and said "cannot prepare your dish without the spice."

I will definitely go and try the vegitarian restuarants as suggested. Just out of curiosity, what gave the impression that I am a Thai. I was born in Nanjing, so I am more used to the Shanghai style of cooking. Thanks again. Nong
May 14, 2006 21:49
  • ETHNICEAST
Oops, yr id suggest a thai style name, using a thai word, "nong" which means something like "junoir tung". i didnt think it was hanyu pinyin.
vegetarian is good, as most yunnan dishes are spicy. some restaurant chefs does have problem cooking their flagship dish otherwise. others will accommodate, you have to insist otherwise reject.

May 15, 2006 03:06
  • CONNY129
I don't like spicy and salty food too , my lite taste sometimes trouble me when I order something in a spicy flavored restaurant , but luckily , most vegetarian dishes are not so spicy and some meat dishes ( pork , mutton,beef...) are lite too :) my suggestion is that you learn more dishes names which are not spicy so that you can order them to fit your stomach :)
May 15, 2006 04:05
  • BELLELI
I think Conny is right. You should try to learn some names of dishes which are not spicy. That would be helpful for you.

Enjoy yourself!

Bty, I like spicy food best. If no spicy food, I can't have my dinner. : )
May 16, 2006 06:20
  • NONGTUNG
Many thanks for all the helpful tips. I also found several Dim-Sum (Cantonese style food) places in town that serve not so spicy food.

Does anyone know if there are places for a simple American breakfast - pancake, bacon, and eggs? Nong
May 28, 2006 08:27
  • SILJA
There are also many food that not so spicy,you will find them later.
Post a Reply to: Not so spicy Chinese food
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code