Menu
Personal experiences while traveling in China
May 20, 2006 03:11
  • ROGERINCA
On my second trip to China in 2005, I stayed at the International Hotel in Nanning. I went to the ATM machine in the hotel lobby, and set my expensive Fuji digital camera down on a small table next to the machine. I became very focused on trying to understand the directions and the conversion (in my mind) of the Dollars to RMB. After a few minutes, I retrieved my currency, and was so distracted, I forgot I had placed the camera on the table in the busy hotel lobby.

About two hours later, while at a shopping mall, several miles away, I suddenly realized I did not have my camera with me. I thought that maybe I had left it in the taxi ?? Then I remembered I had last observed it at the ATM machine in the hotel. A sense of panic overcame me at the thought of the loss of my $350 camera and the large memory card with over 300 photos on it, from the first week of my trip.

I hailed a taxi and raced back to the hotel and checked the area around the ATM machine, but did not see my camera. I walked swiftly to the front desk at the hotel and advised an English speaking clerk of my situation. She asked me to describe to her in detail, the item I was missing. When I did, she went into the back room and returned with my camera in hand, in perfect condition. She explained to me that a hotel worker (custodian) had observed the camera, two hours earlier, next to the ATM machine, while he was cleaning, and took it to the front desk for safekeeping.

I was so very thankful and appreciative of the honesty and kindness of this low-wage Chinese man at the International Hotel in Nanning. I will never forget this act of kindness. I am now always more aware of where my camera is whenever I travel, and I would never again leave it unattended.

On my last trip to China, in December, I ate breakfast at a restaurant in a hotel in HuaDu near Guangzhou. My checkbook was in my back pocket and somehow it had slipped out of my pocket and onto the back of the seat in the booth, I was sitting at. The checkbook had a debit card in it and many personal papers, as well as my checks and check register. After I paid my bill (with cash) and left the restaurant and walked to the lobby, I heard a woman calling out to me. It was the restaurant manager, who had my checkbook in hand, as it was quickly noticed and retrieved by the person cleaning up the tables after we left the restaurant.

Things do happen in this world. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good.
It does not matter where we are, what country or what city. People are people-- but in this regard, I have always felt so safe and so welcome whenever I visit China.
May 20, 2006 04:09
  • PINETREE
Righto, Roger.
The recent experience by a fellow member, happens everywhere. Of cos it is a very frightening experience esp when this happens to us in a foreign land. I know it & am sure all of us sympathise with her. We hope that the appropriate local authorities can help them out of the predicament.
And yes, there are also the kind and helpful souls too. It takes all sorts to make the world colourful, isn't it ?!
As individuals, we need to exercise caution and take care of our own possessions. Being robbed and losing our personal belongings are 2 different matter.
May 20, 2006 04:19
  • SLYACL
Yes ,I quite agree with your opinion too,everyboday should treat the things optimistic ,then you will feel better when you comeet the bad things ,afterall the bad things had happened already.Positive can give you more confidence
May 20, 2006 13:40
  • LOVECHINA2
Roger,
When you hear stories like yours it helps to renew our faith in human nature because we always hear about the bad things and not enough of the good things in life:))Ever notice when you read a newspaper or watch the news on TV..we hear and read mostly of only bad things going on!! Wish they would show more of the GOOD things that DO happen in the world,like your story!!
Nov 8, 2008 16:41
GUESTMAXPIUT Hi guys,

just want to introduce myself on community.travelchinaguide.com, hope this is the right category for that purpose.

Regards,
Max
Nov 8, 2008 22:29
  • CHINAGUY
I was so very thankful and appreciative of the honesty and kindness of this low-wage Chinese man at the International Hotel in Nanning. I will never forget this act of kindness. I am now always more aware of where my camera is whenever I travel, and I would never again leave it unattended.
Post a Reply to: Personal experiences while traveling in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code