Menu
Three Gorges Dam Project Finished
May 22, 2006 01:23
  • RITA
01:35pm, May 20, 2006, the world-shaking project was finished with several No.1s behind it(No.1 direct current country, the largest River dam, the largest hydrapower station... etc), what will it bring to China and Chinese people? How many people's life has been changed ever since?

Without question, it is a great project.

The dam is supposed to stop flooding and benefit the people along the Yangtze River(15 million, it says), but at the same time, many of the traces of history would have to stay underwater and never emerge to the surface of the water ever again.

Any comments?
May 22, 2006 02:36
  • MAY001
Such a great job!! I read the newspaper yesterday and am shocked by this ambitious project.
One word, Great!
May 22, 2006 02:41
  • LOVEISVERB
Two words: dam(n) great! lol
May 22, 2006 08:15
  • KYLE
Great
I think its Great in the sense that its really big. Im sure it will benifit China and I have to say a hydro dam is much better then a big factory. On the other hand I plan on doing the trek this summer and I really hope that I will still be able to see the amazing scenery that is all around the gorge.
May 22, 2006 10:48
  • DREAMCATCHER
This will be another "GREAT" tourist attraction. I'm sure there will be a "GREAT" jump in the number of tourists to China. Hooray for China!!!
May 22, 2006 19:11
  • RITA
God, the logo I chose was the one with glasses:-), but it turned out to be a "thumb-down", I am not at all critical about the project, this is a great thing for China and Chinese, though the price has been paid. But all worth it.

Can moderators help? I really do not want to be misunderstood:-) Thanks.
May 22, 2006 21:32
  • ROGERINCA
Rita, the logo/emotion buttons are so close to each other, it is so easy to make an error and click the wrong one !! I have seen several other members do the same thing before, and I have almost done this myself !! LOL I think the Moderators here at TCG have the capability to make the change for you !! I always worry too, when I upload a photo or piece of clip-art to attach to a post or thread....that the computer will enter/upload the wrong photo and I will be so embarrassed and have to ‘plead’ to the Moderators to remove it !! :) :)

I can always tell when the emotion icon is in error, when it does not match the words/ideas of the author's post in the thread !! :) :)

May 22, 2006 21:41
  • CALIFORNIA
So many things were changed becasue of the dam!!!
May 22, 2006 22:41
  • MAY001
I don't think the moderators can help you, Rita. If they could, they must had already done it : >
May 23, 2006 00:45
  • RITA
I think so, May:-) It doesn't matter.

Well, I am almost certain I clicked the icon with glasses (because I thought it was supposed to express solemnness:-)).

The wrong icon/logo made the thread satiric, funny.
May 23, 2006 01:04
  • ROGERINCA
Such an interesting and contemporary thread Rita !!

I just watched a program about this monumental project, last Saturday on CCTV-9, which is available on cable here in America.

As I am not Chinese, I do not claim to have a high level of knowledge about this project, nor do I feel it is any of my business, as a non-citizen of China, to [opine] on this matter; however, here is some of what I have been told:

This has been referred to, as the greatest construction project in China, since the building of the Great Wall. The father of modern China, Sun Yat-sen, is credited with first proposing the idea of a hydroelectric dam at Three Gorges in 1919. And in the mid-1950s, after a series of devastating floods along the Yangtze, and the resulting great loss of life, Chairman Mao Zedong ordered feasibility studies on damming the river. The power of the Yangtze’s devastating floods have been recorded for centuries and have claimed more than 1 million lives in the past century. This dam is expected to tame this famous and historic River.

The project includes a system of locks, the largest ever built, intended to bring ocean-going ships 1,500 miles inland to Chongqing. Engineers say, this will enable 10,000-ton ocean-going freighters to sail directly into the nation's interior for six months of each year, thus opening a region filled with agricultural and manufactured products. Officials hope the combination of inexpensive electricity and cheap river transportation will further open the region to international investment -- making Chongqing a major business center

With respect to the production of electricity, the dam's clean hydropower turbines are expected to create as much electricity as that produced by 18 nuclear power plants. Chinese officials note the dam may end up providing as much as one-ninth of the nation's electrical production. China now burns 50 million tons of coal each year for energy, thus the hydro power will replace much of this and help reduce air pollution, as well as provide lower cost electrical power for its people.

BTW, I am not sure if many of the members know that our TCG is an expert resource and professional facilitator of beautiful Yangtze River cruises !!?? I hope to take one of the TCG sponsored 4/5 day cruises sometime in 2007 !!! :) :)

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Three Gorges Dam Project Finished
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code