Menu
which standard to choose on the train?
May 22, 2006 07:20
  • NFUNTERA
There are a couple of different standards to choose from when traveling on the trains around china. Not too sure about the differences, is it worth paying for the soft sleeper or would it be better to save half the fare and choose the hard seater?. Will it be too trialing to travel a long distance like from gonghzou to shanghai on a hard sleeper seat?
May 22, 2006 19:28
  • LOVEISVERB
Well, if you try hard seat, you will find out that is the very standard most Chinese choose. AND they are human beings, too.
May 22, 2006 21:43
  • CALIFORNIA
But from Guangzhou to Shanghai,I think hardsleeper is ok!
May 23, 2006 00:33
  • SLYACL
HI,
The hard sleep is cheaper but the soft sleeper ,but the latter is more comfortable ,it's ok from guangzhou to shanghai'
wishes you have a good time.
May 23, 2006 05:49
  • JABAROOTOO
The difference between

SOFT SLEEPER
only 4 berths with a door means less people using the bathroom/toilet facilities, you can turn your lights out and the music off when it suits you.
Sometimes not much cheaper than flying for the time difference.

HARD SLEEPER are open cubicles with six berths. Top bunk not a good one if you are tall but I like them for privacy. Quite cheap but can be noisy and wash facilities can be a bit crowded at peak times. I avoid this by getting up early to use them and then staying clear just before the train comes in to town.

HARD SEAT IS PRETTY TOUGH for long overnights, even for my young Chinese friends on a budget. Try soft seat you may get a bit more room.
May 26, 2006 00:41
  • ELLYSE
Get the hard sleeper for Guangzhou -- Shanghai. That's too long to be comfortable in a hard seat.
May 26, 2006 12:29
  • APAULT
I have been told that when you buy a ticket for a hard seat you are not guaranteed a seat, first come, best dressed is the rule. If this is true, I will be buying all soft seat tickets!

Comments on the truth of this please.
May 27, 2006 05:33
  • ELLYSE
No, you'll usually get an assigned seat number, printed on the ticket. If there's no seat number printed, THEN it's first-come-first-serve.
Post a Reply to: which standard to choose on the train?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code