Menu
cheng du hostel information
Sep 16, 2004 07:15
  • TOBYCD
here i found some information from internet, then translated post here, wish u guys lik it
if anyone wanna a city guide feel free to drop me a mile, will help u if i free

Holly's hostel
near Wuhou temple
tel 028-85548131
15、20、25RMB per night per person
single room 60, standard 80-100
aircon, internet, washing,
review ****

xiao guang yuan guesthouse
blk40 kuanxiangzi
028-886639883
near the minshan hotel
review ***

Dragon town guesthouse
blk27 kuanxiangzi
028-86648408
review ***

sam's guesthouse
Blk 130 Sanxi St.
028-86099022
town area near shopping mall...plaza...bla..bla
review ***

Traffic hotel
028-85451017
i think many ppl know it, so ....
review ***

Sep 16, 2004 09:26
  • BILLIE
Wow!
Your post about the hostel in Chengdu. It is valuable for those who want to save money during the expensive travel.
But can you tell us which one is the highly recommended one? (of course with good location, and cheap price comparatively)

Really thanks for your great information:D
Sep 17, 2004 02:30
  • TOBYCD
greeting

i m not sure which one is the best coz i was staying abroad for many years........
but there r also some critical from the original post on a chinese backpacker bbs.
i just copy them:

1.Holly's hostel r absolutely cheap and clean, very near XiZang(tibet)goverment agency, and many buses to tibet r start from there, also very never the Wu Hou Shrine.
staff r very friendly

2.xiao guang yuan guesthouse and Dragon town guesthouse r more traditional style in design,Dragon town r more easy for english
speaker, even xiao guang yuan tring to catch up but their staff r more or less like a dummy. for dragon town the price is mixroom 25rmb/n/p,60for a single room,100 for a standard room,288 for luxury. cooking, washing available DIY. disadvantage is both of them r samll,u wont feeling good if u got 3 or 4 ppl squeezed in a single in summer.xiao guang yuan price is 60 for single 80 for standard, 25 for mixroom. both of these 2 guesthouse has their won style, both r recommend if u wanna tast the trule old-chengdu style.

3. if u r coming to chengdu for low-budget travel and wanna keep a minmum standard, go traffic or sam, but dont blind urself by those travel guide book lik LP, let's go roughguide,coz chengdu r going fast, these books gonna expire very fast.

4.one more: Dreams Travel International Youth Hostel.review: neutralized.plz refer 2 http://www.dreams-travel.com/youthhostel/en/index.asp
Sep 17, 2004 10:13
  • DAISY
I also want to Chengdu. So can you recommend some hotels which are located in the city, and very convenient for transportation. Most important is that it should be inexpensive, hehe~~

thanks
Sep 17, 2004 13:32
  • TOBYCD
greeting DAISY

what kind of transportation u want?
so far as i know there r few hostel or hotel (lik traffic hotel)near the jinjiang hotel and minshan hotel where just 1 o 2 street away from the CAAC ticket building,from there have shuttle bus to airport and tons of travel agency, but a bit far to the shopping district, will take about 20min walk to Tianfu square or approximately 30min walk to Chun'xi St.

actually there r alot cheap hotels along the RenMin ave.like Yulin hotel, baiyun(near the new information college?) they r all not very expensive, for standard room about 100-150rmb per night,and also transportational convenient, if u know how the bus works :p.

hmmmm, i remember that 02' x'mas i went back to chengdu and ask my friend reserved
a standard room @ MinShan hotel for 5 days, it's only 1500rmb, about $300SGD, wow, i think that's really cheap, i love it.but after some time when i went back there again with my classmate, i could only get a room from traffic hotel at 150,that's the best.the situation is variational,

so, good luck
cheers
Sep 18, 2004 09:41
  • DAISY
Hi, TOBYCD!
So helpful what you have posted.
You said "...if u know how the bus works :p". Does that mean the bus system and condition of Chengdu is not so good as what we expected, right?
I prefer the hotel located in or near the shopping area, or neat the place where has many good restaurants. I know the Sichuan Cuisine is very famous, and I want to taste the unbearable
piquancy.
Do you like the Chuan Cuisine? How did you feel about it?
Sep 18, 2004 11:21
  • TOBYCD
hi. DAISY

Does that mean the bus system and condition of Chengdu is not so good as what we expected, right?

perhaps, i cant tell u the situation now, i still in singapore, my schedule postponeded.
the system has no problem.but maybe I'm too lazy that i always relay on bus guide in singapore except those bus i take every day.but i think chengdu dun have such kinda of bus guide and these bus stop mark on local map r damn hard to read.and hard to get information from local ppl if u dun speak chinese, secondly bus in china is not safe.

Do you like the Chuan Cuisine? How did you feel about it?
of course i like it, i born there, but Im a manchu descendant from Siberia clan, be honestly, i really scare hot food :P. but not the food there r spicy, many dim sum r very tasty. and i think there r no such a place that contain all the local food.......but i remember there r one list that marked all the best local restaurant, i found it years ago from internet, if u read chinese, I recommend see this one
http://www.sc.xinhuanet.com/content/2004-08/11/content_2666369_1.htm
here has almost evry thing chengdu have, also includ review of every remarkable restaurant with photo of those dishes. i have notime to translate this one ^_^ sorry.

for shopping.... i sure that u not intrested in those inport stuff,yea?, u want something traditional, rig? like handicrafts? ok, u could find a lot shop along the RenMinNanLu,from the TianFu square to the jingjiang, u need know how to bargaining there,as i say cut 40% still loss. other one is QinTai St,must go, even u dun buy any thing, the street r simply beautiful.
and there's a night antique market at the Yandao St, just below the minshan hotel, many collectable things there, but make sure dont play if u dunno what u r playing with,they r all sharpshooters :0, and understanding the export law.
if u want buy Tibetan artware,take bus to Wu'hou shrine, then u can see r street just opposite the maingate(Zhaobi),walk in....u will find a lot Tibetan shop,u can bargaining but i sugget u be very careful when u dealing with Tibetans, they r very easy aggro.

Sep 18, 2004 11:21
  • TOBYCD
here r something tasty.. highly recommended if u want save $$ and try the real local sichuan Cuisine:

dandan mian(noodle), Dun ji tang(stew chicken soup)
take no.4 bus (Tianfu square) to Babao St.opposit the busstop there is a cinema, beside it there has a LaoZiHao stew chicken noodle restaurant,boodle and soup 6rmb. restaurant close at 1pm.

ma po tofu
take no.5 from tianfu square to QingYang gong( Taoist shrine),restaurant named "chen ma po to fu" very famous. around 10rmb per person, with some side dish...but dun order too much,coz u still have alot to eat later. after..u can take a look of the old qing yang Taoist temple.

tan dou hua...(i dun know how in english, something like tofu, but more softy :p )
take no.4 to "bei xiang zi". name is "xiao tan dou hua",famous flavor!if u cant find, ask someone sure know.around 5rmb.

hot pot, go Qin Tai St. name is
"huang cheng lao ma"(main outlet), if 3,4 ppl,will share each about 50rmb.

sorry.. :0 i found the list r endless. here in chinese,http://www.51766.com/bbs/show_article.jsp?inside=0&articleid=16139&showmode=0&boardid=7

best: if u have a local friend, then all settle down....good luck

cheers
Sep 18, 2004 11:27
  • TOBYCD
btw,sorry for lots wrong spelling :9, coz rush out to meet friend later, happy weekend.
Sep 20, 2004 10:00
  • DAISY
Thanks, Tobycd!
Thanks or your tips about the Sichuan food and shopping. I think I can't wait to there. Do you often go there? It seems that you are very familiar with every aspect of Chengdu, though it has been a long time for you not return, you can still remember every aspect clearly.

And what about the attractions of Chengdu? Which one will be highly recommended? I really need your advice:D

Daisy^_^
Sep 20, 2004 19:00
  • SKYTOUCHER
Post a Reply to: cheng du hostel information
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code