Menu
can foreigners use cheap hotels?
May 26, 2006 12:32
  • APAULT
Several times I have read that the government prohibits small hotels from accepting foreign guests. I believe this is the rule. But how do we identify which hotels are in and which are out? And is the rule really applied (I recently stayed in a cheap hotel with a Chinese colleague and there waere no questions asked).

Anyone provide more details?
May 27, 2006 05:32
  • ELLYSE
If the reception rejects you, then look for another hotel. Simple as that.
May 27, 2006 06:09
  • JABAROOTOO
No hard and fast rules, depends where you are and who's looking??

I've only been refused once and that was after showing me around. Odd

But I also hear storiews of other being turned down. I've stayed in farmers homes for Y10 per bed per night in some rural areas. No official forms, no checking passports, no reception!!!!! just the money for a bed.
May 27, 2006 20:42
  • LEMONCACTUS
I always try to find cheap hotels and hostels and have never been refused a bed yet. From dodgy out-of-the-way places where they don't even want to see your passport; to monasteries up mountains for 10rmb a night; to your average 3-star hotel.

In Harbin's peak season last winter, I stayed in an especially low-class 'hotel', a twin room and there was no bathroom except a single toilet and a sink. The doorway to the hotel was just like a hole in the wall!! I washed my hair in cold water every morning :) They didn't care about my passport or anything, it was just 30rmb a night.

Ellyse is right, there are so many hotels in China that if one refuses you there'll be plenty of others who wont!
May 29, 2006 07:15
  • APAULT
To all who replied.. thanks. I was mostly expecting the situation would be as described but wanted to make sure. That's great
May 29, 2006 21:48
  • PINETREE
Am very surprised to hear that small hotels in China do not accept foreigners. Never heard of this before. But from the conver here, this seems true.
Is it because these small hotels rates are subsidised ? Is it a rule or more dependent on the individual hotel's management ?
May 30, 2006 00:45
  • ELLYSE
Officially, hotels that can accept foreigners have to be linked to the police's network, and have to use that to register the foreigners with the local police. The small places might not have the facilities/authority to do so.
May 30, 2006 01:12
  • PINETREE
Thanks Ellyse.
Sounds logical then.
Post a Reply to: can foreigners use cheap hotels?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code