Menu
Organic Shopping - Hangzhou
May 29, 2006 10:04
  • CHAMELEON

I plan to move to Hangzhou in August with my wife and 6 month old baby.

I am concerned about the pesticides on food in China as there are no or little controls.

Does anyone know of any organic food shopping in Hangzhou.

Also looking for a 2 bedroom apartment to lease.

Email: Gmail.com|SteveDucat
May 29, 2006 21:45
  • PINETREE
I have this feeling that you may not enjoy your stay in China, friend.
May 31, 2006 07:32
  • JABAROOTOO
have to agree with Pinetree,

not so much that you will not enjoy China, but for the reason that you may not find too mauch that is "Organically grown"

I mayself am on a pretty strict diet most of the time and will be content just to get what I need.

Try the Holiday Inn for international food stuffs and the local markets for the freshest produce but you may have to learn some of the local language or at least have someone write it down for you to take to the markets to ask for 'organic pruduce' but you may very well be told that it is OK when it is not!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other supermarkets with some familiar labels are Carrefour a French chain. Walmart the American and there maybe others in Hangzhou but only locals can help on this. No guarantee of 'organic' goods anywhere. It's pretty new in the west and still off the horizon in the 'East'

Good Luck
May 31, 2006 10:22
  • CHAMELEON

Thanks for the replies...

I will check out the stores you mentioned on my arrival.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated..
May 31, 2006 23:56
  • ROGERINCA
Hi Steven,

I think that Jabarootoo is right on the money with her perspective in this regard !!
Even in ‘trendy’ California, the shelf space for organic items, is still very limited at regular supermarkets.

I think you will find that the produce (fruits and vegetables) in China are really very fresh and quite good quality (my observation in south China) !! Even where I live, with all the government regulations and restrictions on food-stuffs, it is still highly recommended to wash/rinse all fruits and vegetables before consuming them. I think you will be very satisfied, once you are more acquainted with your new city. Best wishes to you and your family !!!

Post a Reply to: Organic Shopping - Hangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code