Menu
Chinese & Chinese Overseas
May 31, 2006 21:44
  • PINETREE
I haven't written any thread of substance since the end of the Tumultous Period, circa end-April. Was feeling bored & when sieving through the Travel Reviews I came across an article by Kevin on Chinese Abroad. His observation prompted me to write this thread which I hope could spur some active response.As we know, beside the 1.3 bln people in China, there must be another mlns Chinese that have settled/borne overseas. I am 1 of them. I happen to be the 1st generation of overseas Chinese in my family - ie my parents were both borne in China & emigrated to SG before the War as teenagers looking for better food/survival. My father influenced me/siblings a great deal via stories of old China - on reflection now, I think he must've missed his homeland very much then.Undoubtedly, I have certain strong feelings for China & SG(of cos). But what about other overseas Chinese ? What about China's Chinese - how do you view us overseas Chinese ? From your contacts with us, do u find us different from yourselves ?
May 31, 2006 22:28
  • SLYACL
Hi,
It's hard to say ,say we are same that because our's roots all in china ,we are all chiness in essence,say we are different that because you have the different ideas ,different thought,different custom.

have a good time !
Jun 1, 2006 01:33
  • CONNY129
of course ,there are many differences :P

I met a ABC last year , he looks like a common Chinese youth ,but his accent reveals the secret :) language is the most significant difference so far as I could remember
Jun 1, 2006 03:26
  • PINETREE
Did he appear cocky ? His baseball cap worne backward ? He wore a pair of half length bermuda drooping from the hip or an oversize pair of sports shoes ?
Hahaha !!!

Jun 1, 2006 04:42
  • CONNY129
No , he looks like a common school boy who you would met everyday on street , bring a big black backpack ,carried some books , a modest and cute boy :P
Jun 1, 2006 04:42
  • INCHINA
i have some oversea Chinese friends, and my cousins are oversea Chinese. It depends, if u grew up in the foreign coutry, u may very different from China's Chinese, cuz the thought are quite different, only the surface is Chinese. But if u grew up in China, it's quite similar. :))
Jun 1, 2006 04:50
  • PINETREE
1. He must be quite cute for u to remember him in details after such a long time, Conny. Hahaha !

2. Yes, agree with you InChina. I think when one is borne in that country, he will be just like 1 of them - sooner or later. Sometime the strong family influence can delay the process but eventually the 2nd/3rd/4th generation will not think/behave like those in China anymore.
For most of us overseas Chinese, we don't even associate ourselves very closely with China. We may just feel some familarity, that's all. Most of us don't even know how the language. This would change once China becomes a strong superpower in time.
Jun 1, 2006 04:54
  • CONNY129
Actually , he is the first foreigner and friend from internet who I contacted with and met in person , it is really hard to forget him :P
Jun 1, 2006 04:57
  • PINETREE
Understand, understand. I was young before !!
Jun 1, 2006 07:38
  • CALIFORNIA
I have three oversea chinese friends,and they all come from USA!

And I try to speak chinese to them!
Jun 1, 2006 20:26
  • CONNY129
Can they understand you ,Cali ? In my opinion ,though they try hard to learn Chinese ,they can hardly do it better :P
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese & Chinese Overseas
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code