Menu
Looking for antique ivory
Mar 31, 2004 14:52
  • KENSHI
I'm thinking of visiting your city, and am interested in shopping for antique ivory. I've heard there may be some ivory shops there, including the Peking Arts and Antiques store. Could someone give me their address of know how I might locate them? Please let me know.
Mar 31, 2004 14:52
  • DAISY
Do you mean the antique store in Guangzhou?
If so,
Guangzhou has its antique market in the alleys off Daihe Lu. It's very informal and consists mostly of people peddling wares from their windows or the back of a truck. It can he very interesting, but be aware that few of these `antiques' are very old and many may be fake Still, it's good fun to explore.The Friendship Stores have antique sections, but don't expect to find a bargain.Only antiques that have been cleared for sale to foreigners may be taken out of the country. When you buy an item that is more than 100 years old it will come with an of ficial red wax seal attached. This seal does not necessarily indicate that the item is an antique. You'll also get a receipt of sale which you must show to customs when you leave the country, otherwise, the antiqto will be confiscated. Imitation antiques are sold everywhere. Some museum shops sell replicas of pieces on exhibit.On the left of the Cultural Park and tucked away down a small street is a fascFnating antiques market full of ceramics,jade and other collectibles, The Owners of the stalls all trip over each other to show you the cream of the crop. Haggle hard. On the west of Shamian lsland, on Shamian Sijie, is a string of souvenir shops selling paintings, clothes and calligraphy. The road leading up to the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees is also chock-a-block with souvenir shops bursting with ceramics and jade. The Guangzhou Antique Shop at 172 Wende Bei Lu has a reasonable range of (not cheap) souvenir items.
Post a Reply to: Looking for antique ivory
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code