Menu
How is the bank system in China ?
Mar 31, 2004 14:56
  • MARIA
I'm french and will spend one year in Gz from Sept.

I have no idea of what I can do with my money in Gz... Must I
keep my french count and live with a visa card ? Must I open
a new count in a chinese bank in Gz?...
Thank you for your answer.
Mar 31, 2004 14:57
  • TEDDY
At present, the following credit cards are accepted in China: Master Card, Federal Card, Visa, American Express, JCB, and Diners Card. Cardholders can withdraw cash from the Bank of China and pay for purchases at exchange centers of the Bank of China, appointed shops, hotels, and restaurants.

Credit cards are not always accepted for the purchase of rail and air tickets.

ATMs that accept foreign cards are few and far between. Do not rely on them as a way of obtaining cash in Mainland China.

Consult with your bank before departing to make sure that your brand of cheque or credit card will be accepted.

Have a good trip in China!
Mar 31, 2004 14:58
  • MARIA
Thanks Teddy,

So if I understood well, credit card (I have a Visa) is not a
good way to pay in every situation, right ? How do chinese
people pay in mostly ? By cash ? By card ? ...

Regards.

Marie
Mar 31, 2004 14:58
  • TEDDY
Yeah, credit card is not accepted in every situation, such as purchase of rail and air tickets.

But I think you can do these by some cash.

In China, Chinese people ususally use cash or credit card directly for shopping and business.

But I think Visa is enough for you. For travelling in China, traveler can use Traveler's Cheque
Mar 31, 2004 15:00
  • SASHA1
Dear Maria, I have a girlfriend in GZ, and sometimes I stay there for some time. In the central area of the city, where I live sometimes, there are plenty of cash-machines, which always serve me well. You can just rely on your French bank account, but keep on mind that best way of getting cash is your Debit card, (Maestro, Cirrus, Electron......), not credit card. I always use my VISA (c.c.) to buy things there, and my Maestro (d.c.) for getting cash from machines (lower commission!). About debit cards, I'm sure they all accepts "Maestro", but I'm not sure aobut "Visa's Electron".
IMPORTANT: remember to book your Paris-GZ direct flight on time, they are all full-packed now! ;-)

Cheers,
Sasha from Bosnia ;-)
Mar 31, 2004 15:02
  • MARIA
Hi Sasha!

Thanks a lot for your advices. You use 2 cards: a debit and
credit one. I think I'll use my VISA and will make some
traveler cheques before coming to Gz.

You're right, all the planes are full in Sept between Paris and
Gz. I already bought the fly tickets 1 month ago...

Where are you living ? What do you do in China ?

Hoping to hear from you.

Marie.
Mar 31, 2004 15:03
  • MARIA
Thank you Teddy... Are yoy Chinese ? Are you living in Gz ?
What do you do there ?

Regards.

Marie
Mar 31, 2004 15:04
  • SASHA1
Dear Marie,

I'm happy to hear that AF flights to GZ are so full, it will attract other European airlines, too. So far, there is also German Lufthansa, but via Shanghai.
After June, new airport will open in GZ, and we will surely enjoy more flights and better service from Europe to GZ.

I'm live and work in Bosnia, have two jobs, one of them is as a contact-person between local and chinese companies. I come to GZ in April and October every year, also having chinese girlfriend there ;-)
I hope I will manage to find some job on GZ, and go to live there, soon, I hope...

You can always contact me through my e-mail: teol.net|salec , I hope to see your letter soon.

Best Wishes,

Salle from Bosnia
(nickname)
Apr 12, 2004 22:35
  • YAZOO
Bonjour Maria,

If you're planning to stay 1 year in China, I suggest you open a bank account here. I've stayed in Shanghai for 1.5 years and opened a bank account at the Bank of China. It didn't cost me antyhing (compared to all the high banking costs one has in Europe) and with my Bank of China card I can get money almost everywhere in China, while that is not always very easy with my European cards. Even in a big city as Shanghai more than 1 out of 2 ATM's don't except my foreign bank card.
If you're just here for a short while as a tourist, then traveler cheques are the best option.
Post a Reply to: How is the bank system in China ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code