Menu
Teaching without other foreign teachers. Need to make a quick decision.
Jun 4, 2006 09:46
  • SOMEGUY
I have been offered a job teaching at a primary school but there are no other forign teachers at the school and only the director speaks good English. I have a TESOL certificate but I have never taught before and have never been overseas. I have been looking for the right job for about 6 weeks now and am not finding it and I really just want to be off. I just don't know how it would be not having anyone else to relate to and get help from and almost noone to talk to.

I pretty much have to make a decision before tomorow morning so any advice at all would be great.
Thanks
Jun 4, 2006 09:59
  • LEMONCACTUS
I like your name... someguy...

well...someguy... what kind of guy are you ? That's what you have to ask yourself.

I'll be 100% honest. I seriously think if I'd not met a Westerner in my first week in China I'd be back home in England now having missed out on the most amazing year and a half.

I really struggled with the culture shock but other foreigners kept me here in the early stages and I'm forever grateful they did.

Now it wouldn't bother me too much, but it's still nice to have someone around who's in the same position as you.

There are so, so many jobs out there, I'm job hunting at the moment. If you're having doubts, best to go with your instincts and if you're asking questions you've probably got your doubts right ?

On the other hand, I'm sure there are other foreigners around but it might take you a while to find them. The question really is can you survive until you do ?

Sorry, there's no easy answer. The sensible me advises you to hang tight and find another job... the crazy me says 'go for it'. It's up to you.

Loads of luck though :)
Jun 4, 2006 17:25
  • WCTMAN
Hope this reply is not too late for you. My advice: go for it. I am the one and only foreign teacher at my school, first job etc. The Chinese have been studying English in schools for years now, and you will find no shortage of fellow teachers ( as a starting point ) who want to improve their speaking skills. The school will also very likely have Chinese English teachers, so these are your first contacts. You will then meet their friends and their friends friends...Take the job and get ready for a wonderful experience.
Jun 4, 2006 17:28
  • SOMEGUY
Thanks for the advice Lemoncactus. I stayed up till 4am thinking about it then lay in bed for another hour. I'd like to do the crazy thing but I think for something so big I'll do it the sensible way cause I have no idea what it will be like. Plus I have no idea what it's gonna be like and how much support I'll need or anything so I'm gonna do it safe to try to make sure I enjoy it.
Jun 4, 2006 22:24
  • SOMEGUY
I must have made my last post just as you made yours wctman. I don't know if I made the best choice or not but it seems like the safe way to go.
I've just heard a few stories about people not getting on with the Chinese staff or being ignored and I have no idea what any of it will be like so I don't know what will or won't work for me.
But thanks for the advice, maybe I'll think about it for next time or maybe I'll find just the right job now. Who knows...
Jun 5, 2006 06:17
  • JABAROOTOO
How self-reliant are you?????????

China can be a challenge - Are you up to it?

I have always worked in schools where I have been the only foreing teacher or had very little contact with the other 'one' on campus.

last year, my third was in a primary school where they had 5 Chines ESL teachers and my assistant for all my classes was a Chinese teacher with pretty good English. Very motivated and she also taught me Chinese languane and writing.

You will aways find some Chinese staff who you don't get along with. I've found this in every school and many situations but for the most tier desire is to make your stay as good a they pssible can given the limited resources.

I now have many ex-pat friends in the city I work but I have far more Chinese friends from all the campuses I have worked and many others outside the schools both young and old.

Are you up to the challenge????
Post a Reply to: Teaching without other foreign teachers. Need to make a quick decision.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code