Menu
Expats - Why Are U Here ?
Jun 6, 2006 03:09
  • CALIFORNIA
Actually,Hainan was so hoooooooot!!!

Good luck in China,guys!
Jun 6, 2006 03:17
  • BENJAMIN
My first trip to China was triggered by several events. However, what brought me back can only be describes in Matrix Philosophy.

“When Morpheus and Neo meet, Morpheus offers Neo two pills. The red pill will answer the question "what is the Matrix?" (by removing him from it) and the blue pill simply for life to carry on as before. As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo "Remember, all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."

B
Jun 6, 2006 04:25
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Benjamin,

Your post seems a little bit complicated for me.

By the way do you like philosophy?

Jun 6, 2006 04:44
  • MAY001
o, BENJAMIN, I like your words about the Matrix. Indeed, if you never come to China, you will never find the truth by yourself.
Jun 6, 2006 07:07
  • LEMONCACTUS
lol... great analogy Benjamin... i love the Matrix... definitely take the red pill!!

As Morpheus says : "You take the red pill....I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth"
Jun 6, 2006 12:41
  • MONA075
Indeed, there are already quite a number of chinese teachers coming to our country to teach mandarin language.
Jun 6, 2006 19:15
  • PINETREE
So glad to hear that Mona.
I envisage more Chinese will go abroad to tech the language or contribute more of their expertise in the not so distant future. I think the Chinese govt should encourage that - there is no shortage of talents in China in various fields.
Jun 6, 2006 19:59
  • PEA28COCK
It seems that only me who don't understand Benjamin's words.

Who will be so kind to explain it to me?
Jun 7, 2006 00:52
  • BENJAMIN
In Matrix philosophy; the pills are a metaphor. I was faced with the same situation metaphorically of cause. After my initial visit to China and Asia, the question that lay before me was simple: Do I stay in the west (the blue pill) and live the same standardized lifestyle tailored to fit the lowest common denominator in society (The Media Junky). A life style in which freedom, progressive thinking, Culture and intellectualism, has been shunned in the face of standardized financial management systems. The choice to LIVE in China (take the red pill) was a simple one, however difficult it has been for me the Joy of LIFE here in my eyes has made it worth while.

I have seen both good and bad living here. Both the Chinese system of social education and the western model have something to be desired. Although, as a westerner you are privileged an uninterrupted vista - I feel blessed.

And yes, I have always been fascinated by rabbit holes you never know where they might lead. One thinks of naming ones daughter Alice...
Jun 7, 2006 05:29
  • LEMONCACTUS
Benjamin! Interesting indeed.

Peacock, I think the idea Benjamin is putting across is that the idea of taking a pill stands for making a decision.

Everyone has 2 choices in this particular case:

1. We can all choose to stay in the country in which we are born, live a normal life there etc.
2. We can choose to do something different, to step outside of what is comfortable/normal and experience it.

I'm not sure anyone can say which of these is 'real' life though!! Both?!?!

The best thing I can say to you Peacock is to rent the movie, The Matrix (it's great fun)... watch it and then you'll know what he's talking about ;)

good luck!!

Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Expats - Why Are U Here ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code