Menu
Hard sleeper Vs Soft sleeper (overnight train)
Jun 5, 2006 09:56
  • HIDAJANT
I'll be travelling using train and bus during my trip in southern china (Guangzhou, Guilin, Yangshuo, Guiyang, Kaili). Can anybody suggest which type of class should I chose for an overnight journey by train. soft sleeper or hard sleeper? what's the difference between these two? what's the price difference?
Thanks.
Jun 5, 2006 10:17
  • KYLE
Hi
Depending on your size I would say take the hard sleeper. If you were to take a soft sleeper its almost the same price to fly. Hard sleepers can be a little annoying but arent that bad. They are clean. If you want a little extra comfort take the bottom bunk, it has the most room. The top bunk is the cheapest but sometimes can be a real pain in the A#$.

Good luck
Jun 5, 2006 20:00
  • MAY001
Yes, I agree. It all depends on your size and budget. If you are quite slim, hard sleeper is ok for you. If not, you may choose soft sleeper which can provide more space.
Jun 5, 2006 20:11
  • CALIFORNIA
I think hardsleeper was ok:-)
Jun 6, 2006 09:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Hard sleeper is Ok but compare prices for flights and soft sleeper. Sometimes you can get flights that are similar prices and you save a lot of time flying.

Train schedules and prices can all be found by searching using the 'search 'icon on top right of this page and flights are using the 'plane' icon next to it but best to check plane fares thru an agency as more often than not you can get good discounts.
Jun 6, 2006 09:26
  • JABAROOTOO
PS differences apart from price are

soft sleeper is 4 with a door and some privacy

hard sleeper is 6 with open cubicle (no privacy and sometimes, just sometimes no water in the morning)
Jun 6, 2006 20:37
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with Jabarootoo,

If you come here in low seasons,you can get a cheaper airticket.

For example,I had a ticket from Beijing to Dalian,only 210RMB,add tax,290RMB!!!The hardsleeper was more than 250RMB,but it will be ran 9 hours.Only one hour by air,haha!

Good luck!
Jun 22, 2011 19:20
GUEST19209 Anybody care to mention the environmental impact of air v train? No?
Also, you get to see more of the landscape travelling overland.
Jul 1, 2011 16:54
  • INDYBOATER
I just took the hard sleeper on a K train from Shanghai to Jinan 2 nights ago. Cheaper than a flight and I couldn't get a soft sleeper or a faster train. It was about 12 hours, but I had the time to kill, so that was not an issue.

The hard sleeper is like having a private train car... that you share with 60 of your closest Chinese friends. And they are close. Basically like being crammed into bunks on a navy submarine, just without any amenities like a shower or a tiny bit of privacy that you might get on a submarine.

It was not bad. If I spoke Chinese I think it would have been much much better if I had been able to chat with my fellow passengers. Although... I did meet a beautiful, smart girl on the train who spoke a little English and we were able to talk a bit, share some laughs, and play games. Oh, she was about 7. :) That made the train trip totally worth it.
Jul 13, 2011 09:52
  • JABAROOTOO
That's exactly the reason I enjoy train rides although I often choose soft sleeper for longer trips when there are two or more of us and we have the time to spare. Save on hotel room and see some of the country side as well.
Post a Reply to: Hard sleeper Vs Soft sleeper (overnight train)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code