Menu
How could fish be guilty or guilt-free? :D
Jun 6, 2006 22:23
  • LOVEISVERB
Not sure if this sounds silly or not, but i read some dining related article and ran into this expression: "guilt-free fish" like in this headline of the article - Holy Mackerel and Other Guilt-Free Fish. I checked the expression, and found it was commonly used in the recipes.

Can anyone here be kind enough to shed some light on this? What does it mean, and how did it come into being?

(Is there guilt fish or guilty fish? :D )

I'd appreciate any input.
Jun 6, 2006 22:31
  • PINETREE
Hahaha !! This is quite funny indeed.
As far as I know, Holy Mackerel is an exclamation of the native English speakers - the equivalent of "O, My God".
I didn't know it was used as a dish name - it could of cos. Thus I cannot imagine what is "guilt-free fish". Is it used in Chinese dining recipe or western ones ? Chinese normally have fanciful names for their dishes.
Jun 6, 2006 22:49
  • LOVECHINA2
Loveisverb,
"Guilt Free Fish" means that certian kinds of fish can be safely eaten by adults once a week according to assessment of contaminant levels by Envioronmental Defence..Many fish have become contaminated by heavy metals like Mercury..Hope this helps you and others understand the meaning:))
Jun 6, 2006 22:55
  • PINETREE
Wow LoveChina. But why "guilt-free" ?
I would have imagined that the eater will feel free of guilt because the fish is unhealthy to consume(too much fat, or cholesterol, etc but TASTY ) - rather than dangerous to consume.
Nonetheless tks - it's something new learnt today.
Jun 6, 2006 23:09
  • LOVECHINA2
Pinetree,
I have to admit the term "Guilt Free" is very misleading for people.Mercury poisoning is a Worldwide problem.Maybe Restaurants wanted to use the term as not to scare people instead of just saying don't eat this type of fish more then once a week because it can harm you. But if they said it that way nobody would eat the fish:)) Big business..just like the warnings on Cigarette packs..Insted of saying it is killing you they say,on my pack of Cigarettes "Quitting Smoking Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health"
Jun 6, 2006 23:38
  • LOVEISVERB
Great explanation, LOVECHINA2, thank you.

Pinetree, the materials i read were in English, i am curious now what would be it's Chinese equivalent.
Jun 7, 2006 01:05
  • LOVEISVERB
Another phrase with mackerel is:
(as) mute as a mackerel
What did Mackerel do?:)

Not sure about the word's origin, it first came to me as a kind of sea fish.
Jun 7, 2006 01:13
  • LOVECHINA2
Loveisverb,
Mute as a Mackerel is just a "Slang"term meaning"silent,or can't talk"..Have you ever heard a fish talk:)) other then the fish in China that sounds like it is crying..hehe
Jun 7, 2006 01:18
  • LOVEISVERB
o, rite! The slang term of "as mute as Mackerel" is easy to understand, and your are right i never heard a Mackerel talk, neither have i heard other kinds of fishes talking, so, my question is: Why Mackerel??
Jun 7, 2006 01:24
  • LOVECHINA2
Loveisverb,
Good question:)These are slang going back before my time and I'll be 55 in a few days(tears)..Back in the 1920's a woman was called a Mackerel and if I am not mistaken,I think Mackerel was even used to talk about money..I think we need someone older to answer is one better..lol..
Jun 7, 2006 01:25
  • LOVEISVERB
Have said that, i know not all about the language/s, especially slangs can be explained logically or have clear courses which it/ they have been through. (if this would be your explanation, haha) I simply found this Mackerel ones interesting.

Thanks a lot, anyway!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How could fish be guilty or guilt-free? :D
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code