Menu
Will I be able to spend time in the Countryside, out of cities?
Jun 8, 2006 14:26
  • ROCKELEVEN
Hi. In three weeks today I will be in Beijing. 4 weeks after that, I am flying back to England from Hong Kong. I will spend maybe 2 or 3 days at each of those cities, but don't have any plans in between.

I don't want to spend most of my time in cities, I would rather see more of the countryside, maybe do some hiking.

Are there many hostels outside of big cities? Can you suggest good rural places to visit? Are there any places to stay near the Great Wall?

Thanks
--Joe
Jun 9, 2006 13:40
  • ROCKELEVEN
are there a lot of farmers like that who are willing to accomodate a guest?

Ive been looking at Xining too - would that be a good place to go and then go out hiking into the countryside?
Jun 12, 2006 18:08
  • ROCKELEVEN
can anyone else help me here please?
Jun 12, 2006 20:52
  • CALIFORNIA
I know a place near the Great Wall,but it is a little difficult to foreigner to reach there!

Do you travel alone???
Jun 12, 2006 22:00
  • LEMONCACTUS
Rockeleven

You can go anywhere that you want to in China, from a big city to the smallest village. You don't need to go too far from any city in China to find a rural environment.

Like most countries, the smaller the place you go to the less likely it is there will be a hotel/hostel there. This needn't stop you travelling there. It depends how adventurous you are, but it's unlikely you'll find yourself without somewhere to sleep wherever you go.

Are you talking about Xining in Qinghai Province ?? It's a little out of your way (Beijing - HK). China's a massive place. There are so many nature reserves, mountains and hiking opportunities. All of these have basic accommodation and are great places to get out and enjoy nature.

If you're open to going anywhere why not try hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge in Yunnan, it's stunning. Or climbing Emeishan - or any of the mountains in China: Tai shan, huang shan etc. Jiuzhaigou is a gorgeous nature reserve in Sichuan province surrounded by tiny rural Tibetan-influenced villages. Guangxi Province: Yangshuo - hire a bike and head out into rice fields and unforgettable countryside that seems to belong to 100 years ago: one of the most beautiful places I've been to in China.

Why not check out some of the reviews under these places on this site, they might help you make some decisions.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!
Jun 14, 2006 10:30
  • ROCKELEVEN
CALIFORNIA - yes im travelling alone

LEMONCACTUS - theres so many places, I guess I just have no idea where to go. Maybe I don't need to plan it, and just see what happens. But im just afraid that ill get stuck in big cities for the whole time.

I was also thinking of going North to inner mongolia? Apparently its hard to get an authentic experience of life there, its all very touristy.

I was thinking of Qinghai province because it might be cooler in the summer due to it's altitude. Maybe just go to Xining and then get buses from there out to anywhere.

I speak a tiny bit of mandarin, probably unintelligable to a native speaker though. I guess this will make it very hard for me to travel to unusual places

also what do you think of this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4953208&postcount=6

thanks
Jun 14, 2006 19:36
  • GRIZ326
I share your concerns about getting sucked into the cities. For me the country side has much more to offer.
Jun 14, 2006 19:50
  • LEMONCACTUS
Rockeleven

I read the article link you posted.

I am sure that this is true in this instance, but I'm equally sure that the person in question is probably talking about the more remote rural areas that you wouldn't have a hope of getting to anyway. I certainly think if you check out the range of experiences from the community here the vast majority have been safe and enjoyable.

Of course everywhere has its dangers (natural and human!). You must always be conscious of this when travelling, especially if alone, but I have travelled to may places alone and only found the locals to be curious and friendly. I can only relate my experiences.

Inner Mongolia. I'm always a bit unsure what an 'authentic' experience really is. There's a train that runs from Harbin to Manzhouli Russian border). I'm pretty sure if you get off at any place in between you'll have an 'authentic' experience of village life... and that huge blue sky they have :)
Post a Reply to: Will I be able to spend time in the Countryside, out of cities?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code