• LUXZHANG
I am moving to china for 10 months and am trying to figure out my
budget. If anyone has any info that would be great. I'd like to
know how much per month I can expect to spend on food, dining
out, phone etc. thanks!
Jun 14, 2006 04:13
  • PEA28COCK
Hi friend,

It is really personal that how much one will spend on daily life. Some one needs 5000 Yuan or more, but some one just needs 500 Yuan.

By the way what is you budget?
Jun 15, 2006 11:05
  • JABAROOTOO
Most of us get by on our salaries with plenty to spare. Salaries vary of course depending on the type of job and whether you work for Chinese or International company.

CQ is still pretty cheap but 'western' or 'international' products are similar price to home.
Jun 16, 2006 01:40
  • BENJAMIN
Unlike the west you are not regulated to any one standard of living - as a consumer you're free to choose from both excessively over priced branded products to lesser known and branded copies of sometimes equal quality. At one end of the scale rent food and genral living can be as inexpencive as US$200 a month but the sky is the limit. A warning thought, you do seem to get what you pay for in sunny CQ, so if you are willing to substitute branded and designer goods, when dealing with everyday necessities CQ probably over most cities in China will give you a select range of products well within any western budget. However, do not expect to find everything that is available in the west. Fruits and vegetables are seasonal and cultural preference dictates the consumer market.

You will soon realize that the high prices you pay for goods and services in most western countries are just a reflection of how over inflated our economies truly are, and the problems we are faced with in the future as China, slowly emerges into the international market. Taking on board the second law of Thermodynamics expect your hot-pot of western currency to be slowly absorbed into the greater community of the PRC until a happy medium is found ;)

This thread is a brake-down on general shopping prices.

http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=18805
Post a Reply to: cost of living in chongqing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code