Menu
Overloaded???
Jun 14, 2006 19:42
  • GRIZ326
Does anyone have an opinion about the right size backpack for traveling around China?

I am getting a sinking feeling that a 5000 cubic inch monster will kill me if I get stuck in the cities... ...although it would make perfect sense if camping.

You could leave the pack in a nice hotel safely, but once you check out...it's on your back full time.

Am I correct about this...or will there be places packs can be safely left for sightseeing?

Jun 14, 2006 20:00
  • RITA
You can leave your luggage at the hotel(star-rated) safely free of charge even after you check out. The hotel staff will be happy to help you. I tried this in many hotels in many cities.

Good luck!
Jun 14, 2006 21:10
  • PINETREE
U are going on a romantic trip. So why travel backpack ? U should be in your best suit so that when u dance the romantic numbers with her, she won't smell u !!
Yes, u can leave your luggage at most hotels' concierge free of charge as long as u are a guest there. U can collect it later even after u check out.
Jun 14, 2006 21:21
  • LEMONCACTUS
lol... i have an image of you wandering China in a suit with a red rose....

anyway. I travel with a 55l backpack... and in truth it's really too big. We can all travel lighter than we do. I usually pack lighter now and use the extra space if I'm buying gifts.

Take the essential, essentials... things like extra clothes amd other stuff can be bought so cheaply in China!

Most bus/train stations have left luggage areas that are safe and 'manned' you can leave stuff all day for usually about 10RMB. Yep, as Pinetree says, most hotels and hostels will happily hold luggage for free/or small fee. I've done this often.

In truth, I seriously doubt you'll be doing much camping in China.
Jun 14, 2006 22:03
  • GRIZ326
...if we will not be camping, should I bring my little stove and tea kettle? ...or just forget all of that camping gear?
Jun 15, 2006 10:07
  • JABAROOTOO
Camping?????? Whats that!!!!!!!!!!

I travel with what might be considered an oversized 'day pack' and manage to have a pair of sneakers(seldom use them), three or four changes of clothers, more in the underwear department, a sweater, travel towel, umbrella, small thermos, large water bottle, Lonely planet guide book and other assorted maps and notebook, sleeping sheet and the barest essentials in the toiletries. MP3 Camera and phone and chargers etc.
I have travelled up to six weeks at a time thru China and never found I needed more than I had with me.
In fact sometimes still have things I never used. Unless you are travelling thru several seasons you wont need too much warm clothing, you can get food and hot water everywhere why would you want to cook?
Post a Reply to: Overloaded???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code