Menu
Education requirements & pay in China
Jun 16, 2006 08:58
  • GRIZ326
I was just wondering what sort of education is required by a Chinese company for an industrial laboratory technician and what do they pay? A computer network technician? A teacher? A CCTV broadcaster?

I was surprised to discover when traveling in Europe, most workers were paid as well or better than their US counterparts.

While I have peers working in Beijing, it is improper for me to ask them what they are paid.

Comparing Chinese pay with US pay will help me better understand how China is doing when I start seeing the costs of living there.
Jun 16, 2006 10:24
  • APAULT
Griz, I think you have been misinformed. People here earn a lot less than in the USA. A first year teacher earns about 1000 Rmb a month, or US$125. Many of my students who have just graduated from college are being offered 600 Rmb. Foreign Engl Lang teachers are paid say 4000 Rmb (plus accommodation and utilities, and air fares.

Taking into account the low cost of living, everyone is a bit better off than the wages suggest, but overall, people still have only a fraction of what you would take for granted in developed countries.
Jun 16, 2006 12:42
  • GRIZ326
Thank you, Paul.

The last time I was in China, I had no money at all. Today I am a hi-tech worker and doing okay.

The last time I was there, I did not have to be concerned about offensive displays of wealth. This time I do not want my instinctive generosity to become offensive.
Jun 16, 2006 16:49
  • GRIZ326
Why is there a thumbs down on this thread? I did not set it that way. I will try a thumbs up as a test.
Post a Reply to: Education requirements & pay in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code