Menu
Bargining without the language.
Jun 20, 2006 05:32
  • SOMEGUY
I've been in China for about 10 days now and have only learned about 10 words (I've been busy and slack) but I don't feel confident bargining.
I've learned dao sho shan (how much is this) and shao yi dian (something like can we bargin? I forget the meaning) but haven't learned the numbers or the wierd hand signals (do they count in base 6 or something).
Anyway I was thinking I could ask dao shao shan and then bargin on paper. Does this sound like it would work?
I'll probly just ask one of the teachers later but theres no one around right now and I've got time to kill so yeah..
Jun 20, 2006 06:39
Of course it works! And you know what , the most effective way to bargin if you can't count in Chinese--- Take a eletronic caculator!!! And I believe that most of vendors gave at least one:) good luck!

Jun 20, 2006 07:32
  • PINETREE
U got it Tomorrow - good idea !!
I think SomeGuy got his limited Chinese wrong - no wonder the vendors didn't understand u.
How much is this ? - duo shao qian ( q is pronounced almost like "ch"). So start with this 3 words, then use the calculator.
Have fun.
Jun 20, 2006 19:31
  • LOVECHINA2
You should have no problem bargining.Everyone has a calculator and will type in how much they want..if you think it is to much just shake your head and they will lower the price or you can make a counter offer on their calculator:)
Jun 20, 2006 19:45
  • MAY001
Yes, almost every vendor has a calculator in hand. Just type in freely!
Jun 21, 2006 06:42
  • LEMONCACTUS
Someguy, welcome to China, I remember your previous thread.

Hope you're settling in OK.

Give yourself a little time and you'll soon find you can't help picking up the language... and those weird hand signals... they might seem weird now but wait till you've been in China a year and you'll be using them every time you say a number (at least, I do!!)

until then happy calculator & pen/paper bargaining :)
Jun 21, 2006 10:04
  • APAULT
Definitely worth getting someone to show you counting on the fingers, it's much easier than the language.

What I found difficult was that no-one told me about 'kuai' (spelling ok?) that is used instead of Yuan. Once I knew this, I could understand 'ba kuai wu' or 8 yuan 5 jiao.

As for bargaining, if you want a lower price...just make a gesture and start walking away. If the seller wants to continue he will come after you.
Jun 21, 2006 22:50
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Apault,

Quote: 'As for bargaining, if you want a lower price...just make a gesture and start walking away. If the seller wants to continue he will come after you.'

you are really smart. and i have to say that you are an expert on bargaining.

You method is not the master key, but it really works for most of the time.
Jun 22, 2006 23:40
  • WALTERKOOY
he some more tips, almost all telephones have a calculater.
pen and paper will do to.
write with your finger in the hand of the sellers the amount you want to offer.
Post a Reply to: Bargining without the language.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code