Menu
2006 World Cup (3)
Jul 1, 2006 20:11
  • GAZ07
Never a team with more courage, honour and Pride,
The disappointment on their faces, they could not hide.

We fought long and hard to bring back the glory,
Then lost on penalties - same old story.

While Scotland, Wales and Pinetree may grin,
Remember: you have to be in it to win.

I'll be the first to admit we weren't the best,
But did we cheat, fight and dive like the rest?

This time we really did believe, in what England could achieve...

Beckham crosses the ball, passed them all and hits the back of the net.
Joe Cole scores a treasure, which gives us all pleasure, but it's not over yet.

Beckham fell sick after a stunning free-kick,
Hargreaves was strong, didn't put a foot wrong,
And Rooney came round, but then let us down...
But did we need 11 men, when we played better with ten?

One thing's for sure, I sit here proud,
For those brave men, and that great crowd.

For World Cup Germany 2006 England are no more,
But along with China in 2010 THE 3 LIONS WILL ROAR!!

England! England! England!

Jul 1, 2006 20:22
  • GAZ07
I hope you like my drunken poem.

Now that England are out, i'd like to wish Germany good luck as they have been the best team this year for me. They have kept cheating to a minimum. They knocked out the most talented team, Argentina. And they play good, exciting positive football!

Jul 1, 2006 21:09
  • PINETREE
Every team ran, kicked & their players crossed
Just like England did with the ball
She did like other teams did
Except Rooney stepping on an opponent's balls.

Lampard shot at goals times 30 or more
But just couldn't score
They thought they were out of luck
But I think it was just another of her many flaws.

She must be the team that q/final qualified
with least goals scored
Yet drunken Gaz consoles
This their quality & she's her own.

The obvious cannot be avoided
Out she crashed with no player outstanding
Come 2010 & this will repeat
But England may not be there to compete.

Ole, ole, ole !!
Jul 2, 2006 08:10
  • GAZ07
Hehe, i like it..... how about this.....

That portuguese player was a hit with the ladies,
But Rooney made sure he'll never have babies!

=)

Jul 2, 2006 20:08
  • PINETREE
When one keeps consoling themselves & find reasons for their failures, they will not likely to improve. Basically the English have set themselves too high an expectation of being 1 the "realistic" favourites to win the World Cup.
In my opinion, I think it was far-fetch. No other teams make so much din about their chances. The only player that seems realistic was Gary Neville. I think he should be the team's captain not squeaky-voiced Beckham.
So much for bringing their WAGS(Wives & galfriends - a couple of whom are only in their teens) to the World Cup to satisfy their lust during an important tournament. Now u know why Beckham couldn't cross & they missing 3 of the 4 penalty kicks. of cos ....
Hahaha !
Jul 2, 2006 20:31
  • LEMONCACTUS
Gaz, impressed you can carry off a poem with rhyming couplets when you're drunk!

Well done Pinetree, a suitable riposte.

I think you should spend some time checking out the British media though, they certainly don't hype England as a team.

I feel sad for England, it is a shame. Having watched many games in the World Cup I have to say I'm not convinced of the England tactic of when in possession of the ball, keeping it passed between defenders/goalkeeper at the back. It's no surprise that poor Rooney went at the ball like a bull in a China shop (red card)when he finally got his feet on it... if only we'd realise that to win, you have to take a risk or two with the ball...

Gaz, England playing better with 10 men, YES! The usual story of Britain battling away through a disadvantage as though to win when we are at an advantage is somehow 'impolite'. ;)

The fabulous four left: Portugal, Germany, Italy & France. A coup for Europe!

Personally I'm hoping Germany wins. It's great for the host nation and, aesthetically speaking, Ballack is lovely to look at... ha ha!!

Jul 3, 2006 00:27
  • PINETREE
All in jest & part of the fun. Since we are not qualified to play nor able to be there to cheer/boo the teams like those pics we see, I suppose this is another way to poke fun at each other & participate in the World Cup festive atmosphere.
Jul 3, 2006 17:27
  • GAZ07
Haha LemonCactus, i'm glad you appreciate my couplets. I was suprisingly happy with my effort the next morning too, although it could have used a metaphor or two...!

Anyway i don't want to dwell on England too much but i think the world is over-exposed to english media hype and that is where the perception of our "din" comes from. That along with the greatest and most enthusiastic fans in the world.

England's motto was "believe," whereas Argentina, Italy and especially Brazil players constantly commented on their "expectation" (by their public/media/management) to win, but of course, this isn't hyped in the same way England are.

Having said that, my opinion is that bad player selection and management was England's downfall rather than being outplayed by the opposition. And that goes for Argentina too.

Anyway, to change subject from England, who is everyone's player of the tournement so far?

For me it's Mirislav Klose of Germany. He has all the qualities of a great striker. Strength power, skill and excellent finishing.
Jul 3, 2006 17:29
  • GAZ07
Haha LemonCactus, i'm glad you appreciate my couplets. I was suprisingly happy with my effort the next morning too, although it could have used a metaphor or two...!

Anyway i don't want to dwell on England too much but i think the world is over-exposed to english media hype and that is where the perception of our "din" comes from. That along with the greatest and most enthusiastic fans in the world.

England's motto was "believe," whereas Argentina, Italy and especially Brazil players constantly commented on their "expectation" (by their public/media/management) to win, but of course, this isn't hyped in the same way England are.

Having said that, my opinion is that bad player selection and management was England's downfall rather than being outplayed by the opposition. And that goes for Argentina too.

Anyway, to change subject from England, who is everyone's player of the tournement so far?

For me it's Miroslav Klose of Germany. He has all the qualities of a great striker. Strength power, skill and excellent finishing.

Jul 3, 2006 22:44
  • CALIFORNIA
QUOTE:"While Scotland, Wales and Pinetree may grin,Remember: you have to be in it to win."

I am sure that!!!

In chinese,Portugal was called Pu Tao Ya!!!And Pu Tao was called grape in english,and Ya means teeth.

I like grape,but dislike their ugly teeth.
Page 5 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 2006 World Cup (3)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code