Menu
Help Camping site needed
Sep 28, 2004 22:14
  • LEVYNEVLIDA
I am looking for a camping site in suzhou or any nearby town in shanghai. My family want to go camping for 3 days this coming national holiday and we don't know any nice place can anyone suggest some place?

Levy
Sep 29, 2004 10:23
  • AMANDA
does that mean that you will spend about 3 days near Suzhou or Shanghai?
Here I would recommend the Tongli Town, a place of ancient charm.
Compared with other similar towns in J-iangnan, Tongli enjoys these superiorities not to be overlooked.
I. Rich water town ambience (Venice in the East)

Occupying some 1 kilometer square and embraced by 5 lakes, Tongli is divided into 7 islets by 15 streams running through in the pattern of "III", while 49 stone bridges in various styles and built in different dynasties link them all together. Houses have been built along the waterfront and each household could be reached via water. Natural and amazing, Tongli is a typical water ancient town in J-iangnan with poetic scenery of "low bridges, running water and small villages", and thus has wons its fame of "Venice in the east".

II. Complex buildings (Architectural clusters built in Ming & Qing Dynasty)

Tongli enjoys a long history. Since Song & Yuan dynasty, Ming & Qing dynasty in particular, quite a few officials and scholars prefered to built gardens in this town.

According to the town annals, from 1271AD to 1911AD, 38 residential gardens, 47 temples and other religious buildings were built in Tongli. There are grand compounds, delicate garden annexes, among which there're dozens of well-preserved ones built in Ming Dynasty such as Gengle Hall, Sanxie Hall, Wuhemenlou Gatetower, Cheng'en Hall, Rengjidaoyuan taoist temple.

While those built in Qing Dynasty include Tuisiyuan Garen, Jiayintang Hall, Chongbentang Hall, Wubentang Hall, and Chen Qubing former residence etc. Featured civilian architecture such as firewalls and stone gates are everywhere. The oldest well-preserved stone gate of the Ye family is a 9-layered one, very rare in the ancient towns of J-iangnan.

Above 65% of the buildings in Tongli were build in Ming & Qing Dynasty, so we call them "Ming & Qing Architectural Clusters".

III. Boundless cultural content (Historical museum)

Inscribed on the town history record, from Song Dynasty to the end of Qing Dynastry, 1 "Zhuangyuan" (National Best Scholars), 42 Jinshi ( scholars at national level), 93 academic and martial "Juren" (scholars or warriors at provincial level ) were from Tongli. Yeyin, a poet in Nansong Dynasty; the great gardening artist Ji Cheng, the desiner of "Yuanzhi Garden", and Shen Guifeng, the Defense Minister in Ming Dynasty; Chen Qubing, one of the "stars" in Xinhai Revolution...

IV. A place of traditional charm
[waiting for your own exploration...]

Sep 29, 2004 10:25
  • AMANDA
and pic 2

Sep 29, 2004 12:04
  • LEVYNEVLIDA
i mean sleeping for 3 days outside with our tent. is that place have a camping ground?
Oct 3, 2004 11:08
  • BERT
Didn't know camping was possible in China. I am going to Chongqing area. Any good hints on camping there. Bert
Oct 3, 2004 12:05
YOu can consider to camp by the Tai Hu lake.
enjoy it
Oct 5, 2004 09:44
  • LEVYNEVLIDA
hey guys,

yes we did it!!! found a camping ground at san shang island at taihu lake. it's a nice island...they have a camp ground by the lake not so wild though but good enough for people just starting camping. on the first day it's just us but at night there are some people staying in the lodging house nearby who will go out to campfire for couple of ours. on the second day we had company about 8 people stayed overnight with their tent. during the day we climb the stiff mountain with a chinese Pagoda at the top. ride the boat and just hike around the island and pick up some oranges.

i will recommend the place for thoes who havent done camping, it's nice start up
Oct 5, 2004 09:47
HEY, Thank you for feedback:)
Oct 5, 2004 09:49
  • LEVYNEVLIDA
hey guys,

yes we did it!!! found a camping ground at san shang island at taihu lake. it's a nice island...they have a camp ground by the lake not so wild though but good enough for people just starting camping. on the first day it's just us but at night there are some people staying in the lodging house nearby who will go out to campfire for couple of ours. on the second day we had company about 8 people stayed overnight with their tent. during the day we climb the stiff mountain with a chinese Pagoda at the top. ride the boat and just hike around the island and pick up some oranges.

i will recommend the place for thoes who havent done camping, it's nice start up
Oct 5, 2004 09:49
Thank you for feedback>
Oct 8, 2004 11:56
  • CHRIS
Hi, Levy!
Thanks for your great camping experience near the Taihu, and thanks for telling us!
I want to know the exact necessity that you prepared for this camping. Camping tent? and something else...?

Thanks for your tips ^_&
Post a Reply to: Help Camping site needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code