Menu
What U See @ The WC ??
Jun 26, 2006 21:32
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with Gaz,

Shame of Holland!!!
Jun 27, 2006 06:53
  • LEMONCACTUS
I'm sure there is the extra feeling of nationalism at the WC! Every team is playing for the honour and glory of their country, not just for themselves, or their local club.

I think this must drive the passion, the stakes are higher, there is more to lose. The pressure of your country is on your shoulders, if you lose you are letting a lot of people down.

Let's not forget football is a job like any other. This is (arguably) the biggest prize in that job, it could be the highest point in any individual's career and the whole world is watching you at work!!
Jun 27, 2006 07:47
  • PINETREE
So are the players really playing for their countries or for themselves ?
U know Togo was still negotiating on pay & bonus package when they went to the WC !
Jun 27, 2006 16:34
  • GAZ07
In relation to Pinetree's earlier point about nationalism.

For some players nationality is very important, but for most players it is about increasing their value and increasing their wage.

For example, Lucas Neill of Blackburn and Australia would not negotiate his new contract with Blackburn until the World Cup was finished - due to the possibility of his value/wage increasing while he plays on the world stage.

Having said that, I think certain players have a better mentality (i.e. less nervous) than others for the bigger occasions like the World Cup and that's what make them better than the rest.

One example of a player with both National Pride and the perfect mentality...

Jun 27, 2006 18:09
  • PINETREE
Yes, don't think nationalism is that strong nowadays - it is a value that is being eroded.
What about the coaches ? We see foreign coaches very widespread now. How would one feel when the foreign coach's team meets his own country's in an important encounter ?
Jun 28, 2006 04:17
  • PINETREE
I also see the favourites being protected & given the advantage, whilst the weaker teams are more subject to dubious decisions against them - like Ghana vs Brazil & Australia vs Italy.
This is life - the weak tend to remain weak.
Jun 28, 2006 13:27
  • GAZ07
Personally, I quite like the fact that nationalism is fading. The only nationality i belong to is EARTH. My race? Human.

I like the idea that foreign coaches can manage football teams for developing football nations. They bring knowledge and experience to make that nation better.

As for an already established football nation such as England or Portugal, i think it is questionable... and something i personally don't like.
Jul 11, 2006 06:38
  • PINETREE
We still see racism at play and abusers getting away with it.
What else ?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What U See @ The WC ??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code