Menu
Asking for some help with my itinerary - thank you!
Jul 6, 2006 09:43
  • LORENZ
Hi guys!

I'll be in China with a friend for 3 weeks in September this year.
I just bought the Lonely Planet Guide for China and wanted to ask your opinion about some places.
I will arrive in Beijing and also depart from there and want to focus on Beijing and Shanghai and interesting places not too far from there.

Great Wall: where is the best place to see it?
Lonely Planet mentions Badaling and Mutianyu.

Wutai Shan, near Beijing: Did any of you people travel there already and can tell me if it's worth it? Is the best way to get there via Datong?

Yangtse: I always wanted to make a river cruise - can you recommend it - and shall I go up or downstream - or even both ways?

Thanks for helping me a bit, China is so huge and it's my first trip there - I really appreciate your opinion on the places mentioned above and it would be great if you have any recommendations!

Many thanks!
Lorenz
Jul 7, 2006 01:37
  • RITA
Hi,
Lonely Planet was right about the Great Wall, but Mutianyu section is usually less crowded and it's wonderful.

Sorry, i have never been to Wutaishan, it's in Shanxi Province and it's famous as a great place to Buddhism cultivation. It's easy to reach.

Yup, I recommend Yangtze River Cruise, downstream cruise has the same/ or more beautiful sceneries with one night less.

Have a good trip!
Jul 7, 2006 03:15
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Lorenz,

Welcome to China......

1.Great Wall: where is the best place to see it?
Lonely Planet mentions Badaling and Mutianyu.

I think Mutianyu is better than Badaling,and less crowded as Rita said.

2.Wutai Shan, near Beijing: Did any of you people travel there already and can tell me if it's worth it? Is the best way to get there via Datong?

I think if you have interests in Buddha,it worth to visit!!!And you should go to Datong first,in there you can visit Yungang Cave and Hanging Temple or other temples in the downtown,then go to Wutaishan.

Good luck!
Jul 8, 2006 22:15
  • GUIDERICK
Welcome to beijing!
I am an experienced tour guide for more than three years in beijing.27
years old,English Speaking ,handsome and enthusiastic.I also provide a good car
by a cheap price for you! It's very necessary for the great wall tour!
welcome to ask
any questions or information!!More details contact at:hotmail.com|guiderick
,call at:(0086)13681598259 Sorry for you if this massage is not useful to you!!
BEST REGARDS RICK

Private tour guide in beijing,China
Jul 9, 2006 01:29
  • LEMONCACTUS
Great Wall: I still recommend Simatai/Jinshanling for a walk along an 'authentic'(ie: unrestored) part of the wall. Badaling is restored and touristy. Can't comment on Mutianyu but trust Cali & Rita completely.

If you're interested in Simatai, check out this wesbite for well-priced transport to and from... NOT a tour, they just drop you off and bring you back!

http://greatwalladventure.com/Beijing-hostel.htm

You should check out other trips/advice uner Beijing on this forum, there's loads of info there!
Jul 27, 2006 07:07
  • LORENZ
Thank you for your help guys!
I changed my trip a bit - I am planning to go to Xi'An after Beijing. From there I want to go on to a place where I can catch the ship down to Shanghai.
Now I'd need your help again - where shall I go from Xi'An to get a ship down the Yangtse?
Thanks again!
Jul 27, 2006 19:33
  • RITA
You can either take a train or a flight from Xian to Chongqing and catch the cruise there all the way down to Shanghai.

The overnight train costs less than 200RMB per ticket, and flight 700RMB before discount.
Jul 27, 2006 21:03
  • GERALDINE
Hi there
I also would recommend the Jingshaling/ Simitai roiute for the Great Wall as there are very few people and it is quite stunning there. It really does give you a wonderful feeling being the old and more original part of the wall.
Hope you have a good time!!
The Lonely Planet Guide is the most brilliant book to take as it gives you clear indications of what to pay, where to stay and you can use it to get across the names of places you want to go to!!
Cheers
Jul 28, 2006 04:43
  • LORENZ
Thank you so much everyone!
I will go for the Jingshaling/Simitai route then!
Checked some photos and reviews on the internet and it seems to be great!

I have another question now.
If I take a cruise at the Yangtse River, starting at Chongquin for 3 nights to Yichang, how can I get to Shanghai from there? The train takes a lot of time!
Nov 4, 2007 07:32
GUESTSTEVE I have done the Simatai to Jinshanling hike over 10 times, including sleeping near Jinshanling on the wall twice. It is the best Great Wall you can find anywhere, especially when the weather is right.
Post a Reply to: Asking for some help with my itinerary - thank you!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code