Menu
Moving to China..need Help!!!!!!!
Jul 10, 2006 06:36
  • ALEXVARGAS
Hello everybody,
guys do I need some help!!....I was born in the US but my family is from Hondurs so in other words i speak english and spanish 100% but 0% of chinese! my long dream has always been to move to China..Either Beijing or Hong Kong..i love the culture, and rich history of the country...my questions are many..please send as many inputs as possible..

1.can I get a job in Beijing w/o speaking chinese?
2.how much money should I bring with me
3.can I get around with out a car
4.how safe is it?
5.How expensive it is?

I am buying a one way ticket...I need to do this in less than a month...please give me inputs ...I am 30 years old if that helps at all.
Jul 10, 2006 20:21
  • RITA
Welcome to China!

1, Yes, you can get a job without speaking Chinese, there are many foreigners living or working in China without speaking or understanding Chinese. I think teaching positions are easier to get, then you get to know more and have more contacts, you will get more chances. If you are interested in working as an English teacher, you can start searching online with ESL info. Coming with a job offer will make things much easier. Some schools offer apartments to foreigners too.

2, If you already have a job opportunity and better still, apartment is covered, you don't have to bring much money with you.

3, Sure, public transportation networks(including subway networks) are extensive in Beijing, and you can go anywhere by bus.

4, Beijing is very safe. Not to worry about that.

5, Hm, tough question for me:-) cause the conceptions of 'expensive' may vary. Compared with living in other smaller cities in China, Beijing is more expensive, but many westerns there may think living in China -any city - is cheap.

Enjoy your stay!
Jul 10, 2006 20:32
  • RITA
P.S.
Maybe our foreign friends in this community will give you more practical information with regard to living and working in Beijing/China according to their personal experiences, mine for reference only. :P
Jul 10, 2006 20:40
  • MAY001
Yes, I agree with Rita! Only some words I want to add:
2. You can bring your Visa/Matser card. It's easier and safer.
4. China is quite safe, at least safer than many big cities around the world. But I do suggest you be careful for the street vendors and pickpockets.
5. How expensive is Beijing and other Chinese cities? You can check this thread in the forum:
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?pp=1&i=29616

Good luck to you!

Jul 10, 2006 20:51
  • CALIFORNIA
For Beijing,is so large!

You can get a job in here,and with good salary!

Welcome:-)
Post a Reply to: Moving to China..need Help!!!!!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code