Menu
Kunming
Jul 19, 2006 20:33
  • CHILDOFWU
Hi guys,

Just wondering if I could bother all you travellers for your masterful knowleadge. I want to travel off to Dali via Kunming and was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how to get there from Shenzhen?

Maybe even some of you have been there, but via a different route which was interesting. I like to know about it.

I've also heard that I should only go to the Old Dali and not the Modern Dali, why is this?

Well any info is appreciated, thanks

All the best,

Johnny
Jul 19, 2006 21:39
  • BETWEENUS21
you did not specify by what form of transportation that u would want 2 travel on. Basically from shenhzen - its best to take a short one hour train ride to Guangzhou - and from there u can either fly to kunming as there are a few flights a day or take a 24 hrs train ride to kunming.
Jul 19, 2006 21:52
  • CHILDOFWU
Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I forgot to specify which mode of transport. But I think for this trip I want to take the longest and cheapest (I always find this the most interesting route) so the train. Don't suppose you know if there's a train that runs straight from Shenzhen to Kunming? Or do I have to travel to Guangzhou first?

Thanks again for you insight,

All the best
Jul 19, 2006 22:09
  • BETWEENUS21
you do need to travel up to Guangzhou to take the train to Kunming. There are 2 daily trains which are train No. K230/231 (which is actually originate from Xiamen)which leaves Guangzhou at
07:03 and arrive at 08:47 the next day.
Another train K365/364 which departs at 14:20 and arrive kunming at 15:38 the following day.
Jul 19, 2006 22:09
  • KYLE
Hi man,
I dont think there is a direct train from shenzen, but I would check out guangzhou for one night, its a preety great city, if you go up to the second floor of the train station there is a nice waterfall and view of the city.
On the way to Kunming you should stop at Youngshou, its an amazing place.
There is no reason to go to Dali modern now, its just like all the other towns in China. Theres nothing special about it. The old town on the other hand is great. Read some stuff on this website for more information or feel free to ask any questions
good travels
Jul 20, 2006 07:50
  • CIRACSLOAN
Hi

I had also been in Kunming, a place known as Spring City for its beautiful atmosphere, and the city itself is very beautiful. I flew from Dhaka, Bangladesh and spent only one night at a nearby airport hotel, as next day morning I had another connecting flight to Lanzhou, another beautiful city. I had been there for few days for my business consultation. I really enjoyed my time there as I found the people there are very gentle and cooperative.

If want to learn more abouth that city and need any local help from a guy, who is very very friendly (I was highly impressed about his hospitality), then write(yahoo.com|ciracsloan).

Wish your trips in China more enjoyable.

All the best.

Cirac
Jul 20, 2006 08:34
  • LEMONCACTUS
Pretty sensible advice here.

Kyle, are you talking about Yangshuo ??

BY BUS: The truth about Dali is that even if you ask specifically to go to the old city that MOST buses heading to Dali will still take you to the NEW city (at least last summer it was so). The new city is actually called Xia4 Guan1, but for some reason the Chinese call it Dali Shi... but it is NOT Dali. Don't be fooled, or conned into taking a taxi. You can get a bus for 1RMB to the OLD (and real) Dali city and you'll know when you get there. Sorry.... I just can't remember the number for the old city bus, but you catch it from right outside the bus station in the NEW city... Name for the old city is Dali Gu3 Cheng2.

Enjoy :)
Jul 20, 2006 21:18
  • CHILDOFWU
Thank you all for such great insight,

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any hotels/hostels in Dali.

Has anyone hired a bike to roam around on, if so around how much did you pay.

If anyone has travelled further up to Lijiang, I like to know a little bit about it, I've heard it's just as beautiful

Anyhow thanks again,

Johnny
Post a Reply to: Kunming
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code