Menu
Teaching and living in Chengdu?
Jul 26, 2006 21:05
  • GREGSOUL
Howdy all

My name's Greg - I'm new to this forum, but have browsed it a bit and picked up some useful tidbits.

I'm currently in Bangkok, but heading to China in the coming days, to teach for a few months.

I'm still trying to decide between Chengdu or Kunming - I've heard Chengdu's weather is not as good as Kunming's?? But also that the food in Chengdu is great and the people are laidback?

I also need to find teaching work (I have three years experience in Taiwan).

What's the chance of finding stable teaching work in the city?

Any other info you got, I'm listening!

Thanks in advance..

Greg

PS: If you know of any well-priced hotels in the city please tell me about them - I'd prefer to book online before I get there.

PPS: If you a local/expat and you wanna show a newbie the ropes, by all means, I'm willing!
Jul 27, 2006 04:46
  • JIUZHAIGOU
Hi,Greg,

I am Mickal in Chengdu,local man,have lived here over 30 years,welcome here,hope see you soon.

It is true the weather is not as good as it is in Kunming especially in Winter,but it is not so bad in autumn.
I recommend Sim's cozy for your first stay in Chengdu

Hope meet you in Chengdu.

Mickal-Driver/guide in Chengdu

yahoo.com|csm028
Jul 27, 2006 11:13
  • RAINB0W
Hi,friend.have you made your decision yet? welcome to chengdu. As for the weather, it is not as bad as what you've heard about. it's just more humid than that in Kunming. i dont think it matters much. you said that you wanted to find a teaching-job in the city for a few months. i think it isnt very easy to find one at the moment because all the schools are closed for the summer holidy and perhaps you have to wait until the re-opening of the school by the end of August. if you really need to find one at present, some education instituitons may be an option because they usually have some classes taught by English native speakers. the food in Chengdu is really great and fantastic ,and there are a lot of places for relaxation. i am sure you will engjoy your stay here.
if you wanna know more about the city and the information about teaching english, you can contact me at hotmail.com|Pauline_Xu_05.(big P and X). i'm glad to help. i am a local in chengdu and a teacher of English.
Jul 30, 2006 16:57
  • GREGSOUL
Thanks Mickal and Pauline for your replies! If and when I get to Chengdu I will definitely get hold.

I'm still deciding between Chengdu, Kunming and Xiamen..
Jul 30, 2006 21:57
  • CALIFORNIA
For me,I will choose Kunming!

Only because of the weather,and chengdu was so wet,Xiamen has typhoon,haha:-)

Kunming is a spring city:-)

Also love Yunnan,because the plentyful minorities:-)

Good luck!

PS:But Xiamen is at the seaside!!!
Aug 4, 2006 03:28
  • LKNOX
I'm an American living in Chengdu. Though, I have plans to travel to Kunming, I haven't been there. What I can tell you is that living in Chengdu is great. The weather is no worse than any other place that I have been to during the summer. I've been to several places in China and Chengdu is my favorite. The people are great the food is good, though some of it can be a little too spicy for my stomache, and I just like the city. I don't think you'd be dissapointed living here even though I can't compare it to Kunming
Aug 24, 2006 18:10
  • ITCHY9400
Hi,
I'm considering living and working/studying in Chengdu
sometime in the next year or two. I'm an american with a
background in Western medicine (MD) and Chinese Medicine
(Acupucnture and Herbs)

About how much would one expect to pay per month for a decent
two bedroom apartment in Chengdu. Decent, but not extravagant.
And about how much for food, transport etc. - total monthly living
expenses.
Thanks in Advance,
Bob
Sep 17, 2006 22:59
  • RAWSUSHI
Bob

It'd be great to get more feedback from you - specifically i'd love to know the results of your investigations as to living in Chengdu.

I find myself in the same boat.

Perhps you'd reply to the tread i started.

Parker - Rawsushi
Feb 21, 2010 07:44
GUESTPAUL i plan to move to chengdu and teach english there, any ideas on how i will start this procedure?
Feb 21, 2010 16:21
  • PAUL3000
i am an English teacher in new york city, what is the process of become an English teacher in china. i am very interested, can anyone help? by the way, is anyone here from new york?
Mar 7, 2011 19:07
GUEST30222 I am a local Chengdu business man, for me, I will choose living in chengdu.
I aslo looking for friends for study lanuage each other. if anyone want to make friends with me, please contact to me at MSN:zqcp.cn|Jerry. or send to my emial:sina.com.cn|zqpcyxh
Post a Reply to: Teaching and living in Chengdu?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code