Menu
guangzhou -China Living cost
Jul 30, 2006 06:01
  • INDCHINA6
Hi

I am an Indian IT Professional planning to work in guangzhou.

How is guangzhou?? wht is the living cost??

is it a secure place
Jul 30, 2006 07:15
  • KEVINWARDCFC
Hi, I'm Irish but have lived in India for over 40 years, mostly in Kolkata. When I am free I spend time in China, mostly in Guangzhou. It is a very safe place and you will love it. Being in the south and being big into tourism and trade, it is comparatively expensive. But if you are being paid for your IT work, you will be able to meet all costs. Avoid the big hotels - they are expensive and charge western rates. I was in Guangzhou in May and June this year and enjoyed it. You will like it there. Have fun. Kevin
Aug 3, 2006 03:00
  • ECHO01
hi, i'm echo and I've been living in Guangzhou for more than ten years. Living cost in GZ is not high. And since you're an IT engineer, surely you can live comfortably in this city. There are some Indian groups in Guangzhou. And Guangzhou is famous for its cuisine, you can find some Indian restaurants in GZ, though the food there may not taste the same as that in India.
Enjoy you stay in GZ.
Sep 29, 2006 03:01
  • GILAGILA
would you we a daily expenditure like for one person living in guangzhou?
Mar 28, 2008 05:50
GUESTRASHVIJU Hi,

Me and my husband are planning to live in Guangzhou for some time.. Can you all let me know

How is the place to live????

Are their any indians living in Guangzhou??? is indian food available ??

Is Guangzhou a safe plave to live .....
Mar 31, 2008 02:24
  • ELLYSE
Yes, Indian food available.
Mar 31, 2008 11:01
  • BARONTWANGLE
Indian food is available, but in my experience, very expensive compared to local restaurants. Many Indians here in GZ, but they have a reputation of being very bad payers! I know several Chinese who refuse to work for Indian companies because the pay is too poor. Maybe they are clever - Charging a fortune for their food, and paying peanuts to their staff! haha
Mar 31, 2008 19:03
  • ELLYSE
Baron: I can't help but agree with at least some of that.
Apr 1, 2008 04:13
GUEST23335 there seem to be quite a lot of indian and pakistani in guangzhou. there are a handful of indian restaurants, at least two are good (i like haveli near the overseas chinese village and the taj near the huatai hotel), though it's relatively expensive, just like any other decent foreign food. indian groceries are available, but you kind of have to go all over to find everything (anyone know an indian shop that sells all the spices and dals and everything in one place?)

guangzhou is the only place i've lived in china and it seems to be more expensive than most other places in china. but the average salary is higher too. the metro is great and cheap, and cab flat rates are only 7RMB (compare 10 in beijing, 12 in shenzhen). apartments can cost you anything, from cheap basic places to v. high-end serviced apartments. i have a friend living in haizhu district, nice, safe building big 1-bedroom for 2,100RMB/month. not sure about internet, utilities, etc.

i had a canadian-indian pal who just left guangzhou. he said there was some amount of distrust between indian businessmen and chinese workers. course, he blamed it on the low-quality chinese work, not the low indian pay! of course no one thinks they're the ones in the wrong.
Apr 1, 2008 05:52
  • APAULT
There is a lot of distrust between workers and Chinese bosses too - from what I hear I would blame it on the unbridled capitalism that has taken over China. Application of the new Labour Laws (which are quite reasonable, all credit to the government) is a joke. The workers don't stand a chance.
Apr 1, 2008 09:59
  • ELLYSE
I remembered that there was quite a good Indian restaurant within walking distance of the Garden Hotel, and an Indian grocery store somewhere near it. Sorry, don't have exact details!
Page 1 of 13    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: guangzhou -China Living cost
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code