Menu
Tips for a Native English Teacher in Nanjing?
Jul 31, 2006 23:48
  • DUKE06
Hello!

I will be teaching English at Jincheng College of NUAA from September 2006 until July 2007. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a first-time US citizen coming to China for an extended period of time. Particularly, how do I open a bank account, obtain phone and internet service, and dress according to Chinese/Nanjing traditions? Is there a "dress code" expected of teachers? How do I convert RMB to USD? Is there a limit as to how much of my salary I can convert to USD? How will American electical devices (iPod, laptop, toothbrush, etc.) work in Nanjing? Finally, is there a high demand for English teachers in Nanjing? Since my teaching position at Nanjing University only requires 16 hours-per-week of classroom instruction, I anticipate having a lot of "free" time. Does anyone know where English teachers in Nanjing might be needed?

I thank you all for your help! I am eagerly looking forward to coming to Nanjing in the coming weeks.

Ankur
Aug 2, 2006 10:18
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi,
I'm in Nanjing now doing a summer school. finish up on Friday and then heading off. Just relax. Most things will be tken care of by your univesity when youarrive. Jus need cnverters for some of your appliances China is 220 volts. Clothes are dredd smart casual for the classroom and they are pretty mush the same as us. You'll like Nanjing. It's only draw back like many other places is the heat in summer. It's been scorhing but it's the same almost all over.

Haven't got time to elaerae on any more but don't worry. There is even a great Italian restuarant here too.
Aug 3, 2006 01:28
  • JESSIECHIN
There is no "dress code" :)

And for cellphone, just go to a counter of China Mobile or China Unicom, which can be easily found in the streets or shopping centers, and open an account with your passport.

Many of my foreign friends are teaching English here from kindergarten to high school. So I guess it's easy to find a part-time job.
Aug 7, 2006 16:24
  • DUKE06
Thanks for all the tips. By the way, what is up with these offers for "free" guides at the bottom of the forum? Are they scams of some sort?
Aug 7, 2006 21:11
  • JESSIECHIN
I guess they are just students who want to practice oral English:)
Aug 13, 2006 05:20
  • ZHANGYUDONG
hello ,Duke06, I am a student in NUAA , I expect you can come to our college earlier and have a good time in NanJing .
but I am already doing research for master's degree and don't need to take English classes.
I like English and may I go to listen your lecture? my e-mail is '163.com|archbishop123456'
Aug 14, 2006 23:11
  • DUKE06
Hello! As long as the university permits, of course you can come to the lecture. The more the merrier! I've sent you an e-mail.
Dec 13, 2013 14:31
GUEST12319 You forgot the terrible Nanjing pollution that makes the lungs sore and creates tons of respiratory problems.

Jimmy
Post a Reply to: Tips for a Native English Teacher in Nanjing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code