Menu
Funny Folk Custom&Superstitions of 7th Month
Aug 2, 2006 20:51
  • RITA
1, July:
The 7th month of lunar calendar (i borrow "July" hereafter) is known as Ghost Month (鬼月), July 15th is the Ghost Festival, it's good for the dead to reunite with their live families, but it won't be so good for the ghosts hanging out twice in a year in the human world, especially for those who died homeless.

Chinese will try not to buy house/ apartment in July, for there is more chances to get ominous houses than the other time of the year; Chinese try not to get married in July; in a word, as a tradition, people try to avoid July for any happy events; Staying at home as much as they can is worldly wise and make themselves safe;

2, Leap-month (July)

We have two ghost months this year as well as two Chinese Valentine's day (Lovers' Day or Double-Seventh Day)

There are some funny sayings about the leap month- leap July:

闰七,闰八,皇帝老儿自杀 OR 闰七闰八,不抓就杀 OR 闰七闰八刀枪乱杀
Means it's hard year to have a leap July/August, even hard for the people as powerful and strong as the emperors, say nothing of the average people like ourselves.

闰七不闰八,闰八拖刀杀:-)
Leap August is worse than leap-July.

See how superstitious people can be... lol Those above are for fun only, don't take it seriously, please :D
Enjoy the second July!!!
Aug 2, 2006 21:28
  • CONNY129
Oh , it sounds horrible , I fell scared ,555~~
Aug 2, 2006 22:15
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Ghost Month~~~~~~

I don't like it!!!
Post a Reply to: Funny Folk Custom&Superstitions of 7th Month
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code