Menu
Brand new to Harbin
Aug 4, 2006 08:50
  • MARKANGEL
hi, i am moving to harbin on the 19th of august, if anyone can give me advice on places to go, things to do etc... this would be much appreciated.

thanks
mark
Aug 4, 2006 12:07
  • TOM0407
Hi,

A friend of mine moved there last year to teach English and loves it! He's even staying for another year. I don't know the place so can't recommend anywhere personally, but how come you're going?

Tom
Aug 4, 2006 14:54
  • HAYLEY
Hi Mark, how you doing?
My name is Hayley and Im a 26 year old Australian girl that is moving to Harbin too.
I'll be arriving about the end of August, beginning of September to teach english.
So maybe you can give me a few pointers on the place when you find them out!

Cheers
Hayley
Aug 6, 2006 08:25
  • CALIFORNIA
In winter,Harbin is very very very beautiful,like a fable world:-)

Good luck in there!
Aug 11, 2006 05:13
  • MARKANGEL
hi tom
thanks for your message, my fiancee and i have been teaching in iraq for the last year and fancied a bit of a quiter pace. harbin was the first place that sent us contracts. although after a little research it may also be the coldest place in china..oh dear.

cheers
mark
Aug 11, 2006 05:14
  • MARKANGEL
hi haley,

sorry, i went and sent you a message on another thread, but yes i will definitley let you know what the score is out there.
have a safe journey
cheers
mark
Aug 15, 2006 18:31
  • CJ750
Hi Mark:

I have been in Harbin on/off for 2 years. I am heading back in a week for another year. The highlights include:

1. Ice Festival
2. Tiger Park
3. Unit 731
4. Dragon Tower
5. Buddha temple
6. Kite flying next to the Songhua
7. Snow skiing
8. Beer drinking (a common activity in Harbin)

In the winter, it is very cold, but you can easily dress for it. As far as weather extremes are concerned, at least the cold can be dressed for, whereas heat/humidity is inescapable!

Harbin locals are known for their friendly, outgoing personalities. They are regarded by most Chinese from the south as being much more "open" than the norm.

Have a safe journey!
Aug 18, 2006 20:39
  • FRANKDONG
I have a dream to trip harbin,but i am no more time,i still in the our conutry now
Aug 20, 2006 00:24
  • XIAODAN
Hello Mark!

Welcome to this crazy city! I've been in Harbin for two months studying Chinese at Ha Gong Da, and will be in town until December. Right now I'm actually on vacation in Xian, but feel free to contact me for any information on stuff to do! My first recommendation is for you to visit Zhong Yang Da Jie; I'd say that area is really Harbin at its best. It's very close to the riverwalk, and has plenty of shopping and Russian architecture+interesting food. I can also recommend a couple gyms and restaurants if you want. YinDu Jie (India Street) is also a nice place to visit once or twice, good Indian food. Da Shi Jie (Big World) is a good place to buy anything you need from gifts to second-hand cellphones; it's a five floor emporium of odds and ends.
How long will you be in Harbin?

Take care and good luck!
Post a Reply to: Brand new to Harbin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code