Menu
Tibet Permit
Aug 4, 2006 21:38
  • OJCURIOUS
Anyone with information about staying in Lhasa - free and easy style?
I'm leaving for Tibet later this month and planned to stay after a 16day package tour. I intended to extend my stay for 10 days, but was told at the most I can only stay in Lhasa - free and easy style for 3 days. For the rest of the days, it is a must to join a tour package or something.
Any advices?
Aug 4, 2006 22:05
  • RITA
I don't think you will have any problems extending your staying in Lhasa after the organised package tour. While what you've been told was also right, as a rule, no free/ backpacker travels are allowed in any part of Tibet so far, that will change of course sooner or later. They carry out the rule by not issuing the Tibet Travel Permit to independent/ individual travelers, they only issue the Permit to travel agencies for their clients.

You will need that permit to get the flight tickets/ train tickets, and security check will need you to show the permit before you board the flight to Lhasa, NOT departure from it. Since you will have been in Lhasa already, no one/ nor any sightseeing spots will check the permit, whether you travel in a free style or in a package tour.

Well if you want to extend your travel to other parts of Tibet, there is likely a chance you may get into trouble.

Have a nice trip!
Aug 5, 2006 10:28
  • OJCURIOUS
Thanks Rita.

The permit and having to engage a local guide are still in the whilst of being sorted out. It is the Tibetian operator who claimed that foreigners are not allowed to stay in Lhasa more than 3 days, free and easy style. I'm wondering if it is because they wanna make me engage a guide? It's all getting rather confusing...
Aug 5, 2006 20:19
  • RITA
Hi OJCURIOUS,

Your Tibetan operator was right about the policy, not only just wanted you to engage a guide. But practically, you can stay there for some days free style. There are lots of backpackers in Tibet, with or without a permit. I am sure your operator knew about this, in this respect, they may want your to hire their guide. But you still need to know the policy is the policy:D:D
Aug 7, 2006 20:00
  • OJCURIOUS
Thank you, Rita.
May I ask about your experience in Tibet? Did you went alone, backpacking style or joined a tour? Would love to hear about your experience...
Aug 9, 2006 21:18
  • OJCURIOUS
The Tibet operator has got back to me, and the one and only tour package they proposed gonna cost me US$555!!! They cant do without engaging a driver n vehicle, hence the high cost. Gosh... they are getting on my nerves...hahaha...
Any idea if i can just engage a tour guide to bring me around Lhasa, in other words a much cheaper alternatives?
Post a Reply to: Tibet Permit
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code