Menu
Chinese gestures in pictures
Aug 6, 2006 15:53
  • GRIZ326
I've noticed from the pictures I took of my lady friend and that I have seen of others, that when a person's picture is being taken, the person gestures with V or some time the OKAY gesture.

Does this have some special meaning or significance that I might have missed?

Aug 7, 2006 19:42
  • LOVEISVERB
Both V and Okey are from English language, not Chinese. Definitely that kind of poses were from the West too but not created by Chinese. :-) So, we are the ones that are feeling confused by it. Anyone knows what Michael Jackson meant when he posed with V gesture here??

Aug 8, 2006 04:36
  • SOMEGUY
The V usually means peace now and I think thats probably what MJ was meaning. It used to mean victory as well. I think there are a lot of other meanings in other non-English countries but thats all I know.
Japanese people seem to do it a lot more than Chinese people. I always wondered what it meant and assumed it meant "yeah!" or "cool" or something.
Jan 8, 2009 12:02
GUEST15116 The peace sign is the V with palm out. However, in England the V with the back of the hand facing the person is an insult, meaning p&%* off. It originated from medevil times when the French would cut off the index and middle finger of the English so that they would be unable to draw on the Longbow, an advantage that decimated French armies. Showing the V sign is a gesture that they still have their fingers and sod off.
Feb 1, 2009 08:08
  • JOSHIRV57
In World War Two,the V stood for VICTORY,and in the Sixties it stands for PEACE . In all history the V is much like giving the Thumbs Up which is also
OKAY, Good Work, or Gosh You're Great,and so on. There are many hand signs,and more than you would ever choose to learn. Its called Sign Language.
The Indians use it,the Armed Services use them. The Deaf and Mute Deaf Mutes use sign language all the time along with body language. There are many
different types of sign languages,used in different ways,by the worlds people,not just by a few countries,which seem to be singled out in this forum..
Post a Reply to: Chinese gestures in pictures
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code