Menu
China with kids
Aug 8, 2006 21:59
  • AXELK
I plan to take my family (3 kids, 2,5 and 6 yrs) to Asia late 2006 and early 2007 for a couple of months to
a) experience the fascinating countries with more time than I normally have
b) spend time as a family and meet many interesting people
c) take a sabbatical to recharge my batteries
d) get inspired from the trip to figure out what I do next with life/work

Having been on business to China a couple of times (Chengdu, Shanghai, Beijing and Dalian) but never with time I want to spend a bit more time to better understand China (life, people, business). Unfortunately I don't speak Mandarin so I was thinking of hiring an interpreter/guide/"babysitter" to travel with us.

We are in the early planning phase and I would really appreciate if I could get some input on
a) which cities we should see
b) how to best travel
c) how and where to meet locals to get more insight into life in China
d) how to best find a 100%trustworthy/reliable guide

Thanks so much for your help
Axel
Aug 8, 2006 22:18
  • CONNY129
First , I want to say taht you are a good father ,your children will be proud and happy to have a father like you .

a) now that you've been to several cities of China , why not have a Yangtze river cruise trip ? and Guilin ,Yangshuo in Guangxi province are nice places with spectacular natural scenes to see , Xi'an as a city harmony combines both mordern and history is a famous tourism city . Tibet the mysterious and holly place of the world is a highlight I think .

Aug 8, 2006 22:28
  • CONNY129
b) and d) In your situation , it might be hard to travel by yourselves , your children are too young , you have to take good after of them during your trip , it is a big challenge I think , so you'd better join a travel group .

c) do you have some friends live in China ? if so , it would be much easier to explore the life of common people ,if not , you'd better make some Chinese friends during your trip , it would be great of help . Usually it is easy to make friends especially you have three lovely children , kids are always welcomed :)
Aug 9, 2006 09:46
  • AXELK
Hi Conny,

thanks a lot for your quick replies.

Do you think Jan/Feb are good months to go to Guilin/Yangshou and Xian or is it better to stay more south. Also, I only was 2 days in each of the cities so haven't seen anything apart from hotels.

I don't like travel groups since they kill flexibility and as long as we are safe (I heard this is the case in China, or not?) and find an interpreter I am not too afraid to travel alone with the kids.
Aug 9, 2006 19:37
  • SAG200403
Hi,
U could have a try to hangzhou city, which is not far from shanghai. It is nice place to travel. It is very famous in china. I am local chinese teacher in hangzhou, who would like to help u and ur family. MSN:hotmail.com|sag200403
Aug 9, 2006 20:50
  • EXLIFE
Hi AXELK
people say that the beat season to visit Guilin is from April to OCT, and Jan in Xi'an is a bit cold. if you want to find an interpretor, i suggest you had better find one that is very familiar with the city and the scenic spots there. there is a great deal to see in each of these city especially in Xi'an.
it is really challenge for you to travel around these cities with your children.
have a good trip
Post a Reply to: China with kids
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code