Menu
Gmail from China???
Apr 28, 2007 22:02
  • APAULT
I am cofirming that there are still problems with gmail in China. Often you get in to your emails but then can't open them... a message starts 'Oops' and says try again later. Usually it is ok after a minute or two, but it can keep recurring.

Apr 29, 2007 00:21
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I have occasionally experienced problems like Paul describes with Gmail, but most of the time it works perfectly. Often these troubles have nothing to do with a site being blocked or otherwise mucked around with by the government, and a lot to do with the "quality" of your connection, the network you're on, or the ISP you're using.

Having said that, a back-up email account is probably a good idea.
May 8, 2007 01:40
Yes, we just traveled in Guilin, Lijiang, and drove through Eastern Tibet from Zhongdian to Lhasa.

I was able to access gmail in all of those cities, including smaller towns in Tibet such as Pomi (Bomi) and Bayi. Note that the gmail chat client is a bit unreliable, I've chatted with my wife while she was in Chengdu and I was in San Francisco, and we sometimes get disconnected.

Anyway to make a long story short, gmail is pretty usable across all of China in my experience!

mikev
May 8, 2007 03:34
  • JABAROOTOO
I think we can all agree that Hotmail, Yahoo, and gmail all experience some problems some of the time.
For the past 3 months I have not been able to pop forward my yahoo account and as of yesterday I have not been able to send any Yahoo emails from my web page.

I'm just going to try my gmail. my little alternative

Yes Wireless will only be available in the larger cities at cafe's like Starbucks and other larger Chinese chains. Otherwise you'll have to rely on hotel's giving you internet access, sometimes for aditional fee.
May 8, 2007 06:19
  • APAULT
There are other ways Jabaroo...that's why Griz was asking about being deported or something if he uses the backdoor methods of accessing wireless connections.
May 8, 2007 06:50
I use Gmail gmail.com|frankinshanghai everyday ,so don't worry about that.
May 10, 2007 10:16
  • GRIZ326
Paul...I thought I sneaked that in without anyone noticing! ;)
May 10, 2007 13:01
  • LIONPOWER
Chinese security not too loose
May 10, 2007 22:15
  • APAULT
I am ex IT too Griz!
Jul 4, 2009 02:55
  • AIHUA
I was in China for 5 good weeks last year. I had problems during all five weeks, sometimes not being able to read my mail for 5 or 6 days on end. I did not use gmail then, but Hotmail and my address of my Belgian local internet provider. Both had the same problems. Logging on to google was also impossible most of the time. I was in Beijing, Zhengzhou, Kaifeng, Luoyang, Xi'an, Guilin, Yangshuo, Chongqing, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Suzhou, and Shanghai. The only place where I had no difficulties was Kaifeng, but we stayed there two nights only. The worst were Xi'an and Shanghai.
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Gmail from China???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code