Menu
Working in China.
Aug 27, 2006 05:00
  • SOMEGUY
I've been teaching English in China for about 2.5 months now and I'm getting really sick of how the bosses treat their staff.
The first place I worked at for 2 weeks then got transferred to another school in the chain. After a month I asked when I'd be getting paid and they said the other school would pay my first 2 weeks salary. After I had worked at my new place for 1 month I asked again and they said there was some problem with it and they had they would have to discuss it. Eventually they said I would only get 1200 for the first month instead of 5000 because they said it was a month of training (not in the contract). I didn't argue because I really liked it here and I was pretty close to being transferred.
Also while I've been here the teachers salaries have been cut twice and they had to threaten to strike to get some money they were owed. At my last school 2 of my friends left after i got transferred because they were sick of how the school was run. Now I'm getting my first proper salary 1 week late, all the staffs working hours have been made longer and I've got a few new duties.
I'm pretty sick of all of this and the only reason I'm still here is because I really like the people. I'm just wondering if all schools/work in China is like this or if I've just got some shitty management.
Aug 27, 2006 09:49
  • APAULT
Hi Someguy

No, they are not ALL like this but too many are. In fact it's the way many businesses treat their staff, who are generally to meek or frightened to complain. Most of the bad stories I hear are about agents and private language centres. In my view, schools and colleges that offer Z visa are usually the safer bet.

Having said that I am about to start working for a language centre but contracted into middle schools. I am happy with the arrangements, ...so far!

If you, or anyone else is, interested in a job here, (Zhanjiang, in South western Guandong) in a beautiful tropical climate, please message me, we can use more teachers.
Aug 27, 2006 13:34
  • MISHEN
I hate to say this, but by not sticking up for yourself, you will set yourself up for abuse. There's a culture in this country that workers are expendable, because they are easy to replace, so there is no need to worry about what is promised.

It's said that as many as 50% of the migrant workers who come to Beijing to find work eventually go home unpaid, because bosses are so good at finding excuses to work people for free.

In a company I worked for, staff were hired on 3 month free trial periods, and were always fired after three months. Free staff forever.

It's not cool being a complaining foreigner - you need to pick your battles. But do make sure you talk to your managers about pay as much as possible, if you're not getting what you were promised. Just be very calm and happy, and tell them in no uncertain terms what you expect. Don't renegotiate what's already been signed.

Let them know you can go to the police to complain if necessary, and if they don't care, then do visit the police station. As long as you are friendly and polite, you will win support.

There's a saying in China - a foreign dragon is less powerful than a local snake - meaning that when you're on your own in a different city, there's not much you can do to win against a local who will have lots of contacts to back himself up. If you are being treated unfairly, leave - and tell people you like why you are leaving. It will be easy for you to find another job in another place with great people. Tell the people you like why you are leaving, and let them know that workers do have some ability to stand up for themselves.

I have two good friends who worked for a year in a school - for the last three months their pay was delayed, and when their contracts expired, they were told that they wouldn't be paid and neither would their airfares be paid. Don't let it happen to you!
Aug 28, 2006 05:48
  • SOMEGUY
Thanks for the advice guys. Right now I'm planning to wait and see if I do get paid. If not I'll do something about it. I think I'm in a stronger position now because I know I'm a decent teacher now and they don't have anyone else if I said I would strike or quit, although I'd probably get transferred as soon as they could replace me.
But I've been thinking that since they haven't kept to the contract I can just say pay me what you owe me or I'll just find another job then I can at least stay in the city.

Also I just remembered the big bosses old secretary (she also got sick of the company and quit) told me that they brought a lady over then when she got here they said she was too old and fired her. No pay and no compensation.

Although after all my complaining I have to admit that the work is easy and the support from the Chinese teachers is good, the only problem I have is with the management and getting paid what they owe me on time.
Aug 28, 2006 22:36
  • PINETREE
IF only they don't discriminate against non "native" English speakers, they would have soooo much choice before their narrow eyes.
Aug 28, 2006 23:10
  • MISHEN
Wow. Don't wait too long to see if you get paid - they can get another free month out of you if you are waiting that long beyond your pay date.

I'd check the wanted ads in advance... being here without work can be a pain...
Aug 29, 2006 05:00
  • LEMONCACTUS
Sorry you're having a hard time getting paid.

My school is the opposite. Very prompt with my wages but absolutely useless at conveying any kind of support or information.

Isn't there a clause in your contract that if either party breaks the contract, they are liable to pay a sum of a money to the other party ?

If so, you ought to gently remind them that they are breaking the contract and be firm about taking some kind of action. Mishen's advice is sound.

Good luck!
Aug 29, 2006 06:49
  • SOMEGUY
The problem is that the contract says I'll be paid on the first of every month so it's all fine and right. Also it says if they fail to keep to the contract I can complain then if I'm not happy I can terminate it. There's nothing about compensation.
They're still saying I'll be paid on the 1st so I hope that means there aren't going to be anymore delays.
I guess I'll find out on Saturday.
Aug 29, 2006 20:56
  • WCTMAN
You have got some terrible management. Has this school applied for a work visa for you? Obtained a residence permit for you? If not, it is very likely that they are not legally entitled to hire a foreign teacher. This means that after your tourist visa expires, you may be in a position where you must leave the country. On the assumption that you do not as yet have a work visa with this school, I would suggest that you leave immediately. There are plenty of good schools here and you need not waste your time on badly run organizations like this one.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by leaving and finding yourself a real school to work at.
Aug 29, 2006 21:27
  • RITA
Many schools or language training centers here are just trying to look "prestigious" or "normal" to show a foreign face for the purpose of attracting more recruits(which is stupid), i don't know if that is the case in that school you worked. Like WCTMAN said, some of them may not be entitled or approved by the local education bureaus to hire foreign teachers. So, they may not be able to assist you to go throught the required formalities. Furthermore, once they put your name in their teaching staff list and maybe have your picture attatched, they would try to behave funny to make you leave without paying you as contracts. So, try to find a public school to teach. There are lots of private schools are.....really off.

Good luck to you.
Aug 30, 2006 03:52
  • SOMEGUY
Thanks for the advice. I'm here on a consultant visa. The school I'm with is a pretty major chain and they do a fair bit of advertising so I'm pretty sure they're legitimate.
Right now I guess I'll just wait to see if I get my pay on Saturday. If not I know a few people who say they can get me a better job so hopefully it won't go too badly. I probably should do something but I like the work and the people so I'll just cross my fingers.
Post a Reply to: Working in China.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code