Menu
Forbes: Careers And Marriage
Aug 28, 2006 20:30
  • RITA
QUOTE:
Point: Don't Marry Career woman
Guys: a word of advice. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don't marry a woman with a career.

Why? Because if many social scientists are to be believed, you run a higher risk of having a rocky marriage. While everyone knows that marriage can be stressful, recent studies have found professional women are more likely to get divorced, more likely to cheat and less likely to have children. And, if they do have kids, they are more likely to be unhappy about it. A recent study in Social Forces, a research journal, found that women--even those with a "feminist" outlook--are happier when their husband is the primary breadwinner. .................

(Counterpoint: Don't Marry a Lazy Man
Girlfriends: a word of advice. Ask your man the following question: When was the last time you learned something useful, either at home or work? )
Unquote

Find out the whole articles here:
http://www.forbes.com/home/2006/08/23/Marriage-Careers-Divorce_cx_mn_land.html
------------------------------------------------------

Career woman?? There are more and more career girls in China, thanks to the great pressure on nowadays families that far more unbearable for a large number of Chinese men, also the prevailing saying of Women Hold Up Half of The Sky (By Chairman Mao???) has been penetrated into people's minds, both men and women. It's like if a Chinese wife doesn't work outside, she is more likely to feel...inferior/ dependent<??> despite she does all the house chores, babysittings, cookings ...etc.

(Lazy men?? the resources of lazy men will never be run out, :-))

What do you think?? IS that so risky to marry a career woman?

Aug 28, 2006 22:05
  • PINETREE
Of cos most men generally don't like to marry a career-minded gal. Tho men have to toil to upkeep their women and kids, we feel that it is our divine responsibility/duty. It is generally a taken and a pleasure. We may suffer earlier ageing, health problems but taking care of our women is our priority - these MCPs. Hahaha !!
There must be men who think otherwise but I suppose these are the men who view material success as priority.
From the observation here, Chinese/Asian women make good wives. Why ? They are generally gentle and are brought up to know how to make their men happy. They don't mind playing a supporting role as the next most important person in the family. Equality doesn't necessarily beget harmony in the real world.
Reversely, a career woman will of course not like to marry a lazy man. She would want her man to be as materially or career successful as them.
But both men/women cannot be equal in the real world. If both husband/wife are as successful, u can imagine what would happen between them.
The ancient people were not as stupid as we think. The modern people may be better technologically but not so in term of human relationship/ understanding. They had come a long way with loads of experience in this field behind them.
Hark, hasten modern people !!
Oct 10, 2006 14:28
  • CHYNAGYRL
Feminism has brainwashed a lot of women in Western countries. When I grew up in Canada i thought it would be great to be a career woman, but actually now I think I would to be a home-maker and work part-time. Somehow, the traditional societies had *that* right because they had insight into female and male psychology.

A lot of social research supports that the man being the primary breadwinner is more healthy. Career women and stay-at-home husbands (non-traditional roles) have more heart attacks than people in the usual roles.

THere is only one *caveat* here. For example, in Korea, maybe 85% of women are full-time homemakers. This has benefits, but the man and wife must respect and be loyal to each other. In Korea, a lot of the men are primary breadwinners, the woman takes the paycheque and controls the money, and the guys go drinking (and fool around) regularly. The woman cannot complain, because the husband says its his way of blowing off steam for working so hard. That's not an ideal system either.

When the man and the woman respect each other for what they are each bringing to the marriage then that's the basis for a lasting relationship.
Oct 10, 2006 18:27
  • GRIZ326
Modern American women are not at all like my mother's peers. I think that is sad.

IMO, the most important job of a woman is raising children to be good citizens of the next generation. The husband is important in child rearing but second to the mother, at least until the children become older.

The changes we see family structure do not bode well for the future. I am amazed at the number of divorced women in China, so I suppose even China will experience whatever this sad change brings in the future.

...but I think this has less to do with career women than the modern feminine mindset. Women have worked outside of the home for many generations without the consequences we see today.
Oct 11, 2006 03:41
  • TEKNOMED
Career women and divorces increase when a country develops. This is a sad part of life due to materialism. As a country develops there are more opportunities for both sexes to be educated equally. When the couple set up a family they want the best for their family, so both partners have to join the workforce to increase the family income to have a beeter lifestyle. So now the same pressure is on both partners. But society is still set in a male dominated way that the husband expect the wife to do the housework and all other "housewife" responsiblities. This "superwoman" will one day decides that enough is enough and that is the day this career woman walk out or kick her husband out. In order to have a sucessful marriage both partners must share all the responsiblities of the family, whether the wife is a career woman or not.
Oct 11, 2006 11:15
  • GRIZ326
...more opportunity and better education leads to more bad decisions???

Is that what you are saying?

I'd say more opportunity and better education generally fosters greed and selfishness.
Oct 11, 2006 15:02
  • CARLA
isn't mother a great and difficult job without salary? children are wealth for a country and a family, who is feeding the wealth?
who does praise housework with salary?
who would like to be a career without salary?
Dec 21, 2006 13:37
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hi Rita,
I wonder if you've read this article. It shows that men like to marry rich women, not just the other way around. And it also seems to show that career women can have very successful personal lives as well. The richest women in world -- their husbands would probably try harder to please them considering how much money they make. I don't think that will be my path, because I don't particularly like the corporate ethos, but for really strong, tough women who are also smart, don't see why they can't have it all. Most of them have nannies for their children, and their husband becomes a homemaker.

http://blogs.payscale.com/ask_dr_salary/2006/11/ten_highestpaid.html
Dec 21, 2006 22:31
  • LIONPOWER
No, I am not agree with this gist that you mean by "Women career"
Housing keeping, look after the kids, other house hold works not under the Career?

Yes, Lazy men like mud in the drain
Jun 3, 2008 20:45
GUEST17721 Yes, I can attest that I am a very unhappy man who has been in a relationship with a career-minded woman for four years now. Why have I stayed? It's a good question that I cannot completely explain. The United States is already in a steep moral and economic decline, and now I believe, because of feminism, the institution of marriage is in decline.

By the way, RITA, you have a beautiful Asian woman!

-- Matt
Post a Reply to: Forbes: Careers And Marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code